Motorola and UK based 3G carrier 3 today have announced the arrival of their most advanced 3G handset to date - the Motorola A920. The handset has a full-color widescreen display designed to showcase 3's person-to-person video calling capabilities, as well as its exclusive video content.
The Motorola A920 sets a new standard for the mobile industry and brings enhanced functionality to customers of 3's video mobile network. A mobile phone, video and still camera, a PDA, an MP3 player and gaming capability have been combined into one product.
The A920's 65,000+ color screen - which can also hold up to 20 lines of text - will show video content, such as Barclaycard Premiership goals and the latest film clips, with an impressive clarity and resolution.
The handset was jointly developed by 3 and Motorola, exclusively for the 3 video mobile network.
- Make real time video calls to friends, family or colleagues via a digital, built in video camera. Great for sharing memories or special occasions with other 3 video mobile users
- View music videos, movie trailers, sports or news clips at near broadcast quality
- Find the nearest cafÃ©, restaurant, shops or cinema, thanks to 3's location services and the new Assisted Global Positioning System (AGPS) capability of the A920
- Listen to music using the phone as a personal stereo with an integrated MP3 player and a built in speaker as well as separate headphones
- Make or receive calls at the same time as accessing 3's content areas and downloading video or audio clips; and
- Use the phone internationally. Customers can make calls (including in North America via the tri-band operation)
The menu system is navigated via icons on the touch screen, as well as dedicated "hot buttons" for the most popular applications such as, "home" and "3 services".
The A920 runs on a version of the open operating system, Symbian OS v7.0 and incorporates the latest pen-based user interface by UIQ. Applications can be downloaded, such as games based on Java and C++, from 3. This will allow consumers to update their handsets regularly with new applications and content.
The Motorola A920 can also double up as a separate, hand-held gaming console. Flip the phone on its side and use the console-style game controls, including a five -way navigation key to play Java-based games.
An expansion memory card is also available for up to 256 extra Mb of space for multimedia files. The phone also offers more basic mobile phone functionality such as text and picture messaging.
The full commercial rollout of 3 services in the UK and Italy is already underway, with further services to follow over the coming months in Hong Kong, Australia, Sweden, Austria, Denmark, Ireland and Israel. Details of 3's services can found online at www.three.co.uk.
The Motorola A920 will be available in 3 outlets and from selected retail partners from September 2003; a price wasn't given.
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information]