Following earlier information that Palm plans to release a webOS update for Sprint's CDMA Palm Pre and Pixi smartphones, word is on the street that Palm will also released the long-awaited webOS 1.4 update for its GSM Palm Pre (as for instance available in Europe from O2 and Telefónica) tonight! And indeed, it seems the earlier rumored infomration are correct and the update features a couple of bug fixes as well as it brings such goodies like the ability to record and edit videos as well as v1.4 improves the overall device performance and adds a couple of yet non disclosed calendar, messaging, E-Mail and notification enhancements. Other than that, webOS 1.4 makes the Palm Pre Adobe Flash 10.0 ready.
- Time Zone bug fixed
- Network time sync bug fixed to reflect accurate network time
- Bluetooth car-kit transition to device corrected
- No EV icon bug fixed (random) (EVDO only)
- Random browser formatting bugs fixed
- Fixed bug that incorrectly displayed Sprint when actually was Digital Roaming (EVDO only)
- Missing Contact issue specifically with swap down to 18.104.22.168 or less
- Improved performance (Faster start time of applications and improved battery run-time)
- Adds video capture capability & edit (Also allows to upload videos to YouTube and Facebook)
- Calendar enhancements
- Messaging enhancements (including MMS video support and the ability to forward SMS or MMS messages as an E-Mail)
- E-Mail enhancements (including the ability to edit forwarded E-Mails, sort received E-Mails by date, sender or subject and allowing to add videos as attachment)
- Notification enhancements (LED notification of newly received E-Mails, SMS messages and other events)
- W-LAN can turn off automatically if the screen turns off
- Adds Adobe Flash 10.1 (Pre only: The 1.4 software adds the ability to use the Flash 10.0 Adobe plug-in which will be available shortly from the Palm Application Catalogue)
Sprint's Palm Pre and Palm Pixi and Telefónica and O2 Palm Pre device users should receive an OTA (Over the Air) notification as soon as the new 1.4 webOS firmware is available for download and installation!
UPDATE: As expected, the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi webOS 1.4 update is now available for American Sprint and European O2 and Telefónica customers and is 38 MB large. The download and update process takes roughly one hour (depending on the network speed) and heavily drains the battery (takes around 25 - 35 %).
Furthermore Palm announced that European Palm Pre users get a few extra-treats from EA in the App Catalog: Three awesome 3D games for free which are Sims 3, Monopoly (US$ 7 each) and Need for Speed Undercover (US$ 9.99).
Cheers ~ Arne