Right in time for the upcoming Windows Phone 7 launch and as expected, Microsoft today has enabled Exchange ActiveSync synchronization of its Windows Live Hotmail service for smartphones which now includes E-Mail push as well as calendar, contacts and tasks synchronization! Starting today, Hotmail users can get E-Mail, calendar, contacts and task changes pushed automatically to a smartphone, like Windows Phone, Android and webOS, using Microsoft's Exchange ActiveSync protocol. And if Hotmail is used with Outlook or Windows Live Mail, Exchange ActiveSync can deliver a seamless experience between the PC, any web browser and a smartphone, which is something that Google's Gmail isn't offering today!
To enable Windows Live's Hotmail Exchange ActiveSync, the required settings are:
- Server / URL: m.hotmail.com
- Username: Full E-Mail address, for example: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: The E-Mail's password as used for Hotmail
Domain: Leave this blank
- SSL: Enable this
- Certificate: Accept the SSL certificate when prompted
- Supported Services: E-Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks
Exchange ActiveSync synchronization for mobile is now available for all Microsoft Hotmail users, free of charge!
Cheers ~ Arne