As Delta Air Lines announced yesterday, more than 19,000 Delta Air Lines flight attendants began using last year's announced Nokia Lumia 820 Windows Phone 8 smartphones yesterday, that will streamline on-board purchasing. As every airline, also Delta mentioned that its 19,000 in-flight professionals are there for the safety and comfort of customers. Equipping them with innovative solutions means they can better meet customers' needs on board of every flight. This solution was developed by Microsoft, Avanade and AT&T after months of development and feedback from flight attendants. The Windows Phone 8 smartphones will include a Delta-specific customer experience developed by Avanade on the Microsoft Dynamics for Retail mobile point-of sale platform.
The Windows Phone 8 device, a Nokia Lumia 820, enables Delta flight attendants to offer:
- Near real-time credit card processing for on-board purchases, including upgrades to Delta's popular Economy Comfort seating. On-board Economy Comfort upgrades will begin on transcontinental and international flights before being offered on flights across Delta's system.
- Convenient eReceipts that can be E-Mailed to customers.
- Customers' use of pre-paid credit cards for on-board purchases.
- Quicker transaction processing times.
- In the near future, the ability to read coupons displayed on a customer's mobile device.
- More efficient service recovery.
Airborne, the solution will operate over WiFi and on the ground on AT&T's 4G LTE Network. The agreement includes plans to expand the solution over the next three years to the newest Nokia devices. In the future, Delta expects to provide flight attendants with certain customer-specific information to enable more personalized service.
Cheers ~ Arne