As you might noticed, PPCW.Net appears in a slightly modified layout and with some different functionalities. That's so far what you can see on the front end but the most important things happened in the backend.
Overall, Calin (my site developer who made the time to step back into PPCW.Net to give me some helping hands for the modifications) and I was working on PPCW.Net during the past 14 days (mostly nights) to improve the performance, the admin interface and giving PPCW.Net a new look and feel.
So what's new for you and me?
First of all, we moved to a different system by implementing a lot of the previous code into that new system. Therefore we merged best of both systems... :-)
- New Logo: Since PPCW.Net isn't about Pocket PCs only anymore but also about Smartphones (which surprise ;-)), I've decided to change to a new logo which is a combination of a Pocket PC (gray) and Smartphone (blue). I hope you realized it anyhow without my explanation. ;-)
- New Claim: As PPCW.Net isn't about "Where Pocket PC meets Wireless" only anymore I changed the site claim to "Where Mobility meets Wireless". This gives me also enough space to talk about everything mobility related stuff.
- Changed Layout: Based on your pretty valuable feedback we've decided to change the UI to come closer to your requirements. Therefore we also increased the font size which should makes it easier to read PPCW.Net.
- PPCW.Net Latest Stories: Gives you a short overview of the 10 newest stories since your last visit.
- PPCW.Net Latest Comments: Gives you a short overview about the latest comments made on stories.
- Changed Comments Section: We slightly modified how you can add comments and you will be recognized by the system now with cookies, if you want. As before you can still post anonymously even if I would prefer to know who is posting so please don't abuse it.
- Forum: The Forum is still not ready but will be added during the next few days. Here we will use a different backend system also but will try our best to migrate all your previous valuable postings for sure!
- Admin Interface: The backend is completely changed and makes story, comments and contribution handling easier for me. Also I will be able to post stories via E-Mail (and therefore via SMS too) which makes it even more interesting on congresses, etc. Currently I'm thinking about how to post stories via MMS which could contain images also. :-)
In addition to that it allows me to add contributors/authors easier. Something I will come back to you in an additional posting...
- Added GZip: Encodes the pages generated by the web server. This improves transmission speed as well as it reduces the required bandwidth. However, I need to verify that it doesn't costs to much CPU performance
So far that's the most important changes and features. Hope it makes PPCW.Net even more valuable for you!
Cheers ~ Arne