Today, i-mate released the long awaited ROM update for the i-mate SP5 and SP5m Windows Mobile Smartphone which is based on Microsoft's AKU 2 and therefore contains the MSFP (Microsoft Feature Pack which is the E-Mail push functionality with Exchange 2003 and SP2) but unfortunately not the A2DP Bluetooth stereo protocol yet as previewed earlier.
Nevertheless, the ROM update also contains other important fixes and feature updates and is available in several language pack versions.
The main improvements from the updated Operating System, 1.5.331.4, are:
- Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP):
- Addition of the MSFP allowing Direct Push email, remote device
wiping, security policy enforcement and Global Address List Lookup for
customers using a Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 with Service Pack 2.
- File beaming over Bluetooth:
- It is now possible to beam files over Bluetooth using the file
- Improved radio functionality:
- Microphone level has been boosted.
- Cell Broadcast display is now supported.
- Line2 functionality introduced.
- Busy Tone corrected.
- Improved the echo suppression.
- USSD service support is upgraded.
- Updated MMS:
- MMS will now operate until there is only 1 Mb of free storage
space. Previously this limit was set at 4Mb.
- MMS client updated to the current version.
- Improved Pocket Internet Explorer:
- Frames functionality now supported in the browser.
- Quick navigation using Page Up key ( key 2 ) and Page Down key
( key 8 ).
- Keypad Light Timing:
- The timeout of the keypad light can now be set. There is
a utility in the 'Utilities' section of the SP5 support
pages that will let you set it. Note that setting the keypad
light over 8 seconds will cause significant reduction in
- Voice Dial:
- Voice Dial reliability from handset has been improved.
- Communication Manager:
- Communication Manager has been updated to allow current
data services to be stopped, Direct Push email to be
started/stopped using a single button press and flight mode
to be switched on/off.
- When the device is locked, calendar reminders can be
snoozed by using the joystick. Previously it was only
possible to press the numeric key associated with the menu
option to snooze a reminder.
- Car Kit interface: Address book sync can now be
performed to car kits.
- Bluetooth Beaming from file manager has now been
improved (more reliable and faster).
- Updated Java client to latest version.
The ROM images for both, the SP5 and the SP5m are available for immediate download from the Club i-mate site.
Cheers ~ Arne