Nokia just announced that it has started the Lumia Black software update rollout for Lumia Windows Phone 8 devices, which owners around the world will start to receive from today. The anticipated Lumia Black update combines a host of new features, improvements in imaging, new apps and app updates from Microsoft and Nokia which make the overall Lumia smartphone experience even better. The first devices which will receive the latest enhancements are the Nokia Lumia 925 and Nokia Lumia 1020 smartphones, with all uther Windows Phone 8 models in following in the coming weeks.
Lumia Black includes the following enhancements:
- App Folder - This brand new feature makes the Lumia experience even more fluid by giving an option to further personalize and organize the Start screen. With App folders it's possible to group similar apps and settings into one folder, a tile, on the Start screen.
- Nokia Glance screen 2.0 - Helps to keep track information in real time, making all the most important notifications including phone, messages, E-Mail, Outlook, calendar or any apps that use notifications such as Twitter, Facebook, WhatsApp, or games; always visible at a glance on the screen. It saves users time and the device energy.
- Bluetooth LE - Will now be enabled across the full Windows Phone 8 Lumia range for compatible gadgets like the Adidas MiCoach accessories.
- Nokia Refocus - The amazing Nokia Refocus comes to all Windows Phone 8 Lumia smartphones with 1 GB of RAM and upwards.
- Nokia Beamer - Sharing what's on the phone is easier than ever with Nokia Beamer. No longer restricted to just photos, it's now possible to beam documents, presentations or anything you like, to any HTML5-enabled screen by simply scanning a QR code on the screen. It's coming to all of the phones with 1 GB RAM upwards.
- Nokia Storyteller - This app debuted on the new Nokia Lumia 1520 and Lumia 2520 late last year. Now the experience comes to other Lumia smartphones. The app arranges your photos by date and by place, making it easier to tell the stories behind the pictures, and give extra context through the close integration of interactive maps.
- Nokia Camera - Combines Nokia Pro Camera and Smart Camera to simplify the photo-taking experience, and ensure to get the perfect shot every time. The app has been available for Lumia PureView smartphones since last year, but it's now coming to the rest of the WP8 Lumia range.
The latest Nokia Camera update also brings raw DNG support for Lumia 1020 owners - something that's already available for Lumia 1520. The DNG format gives users access to pure and untouched visual information, allowing to do more and be more creative with images. Enthusiast and professional photographers can now use their professional workflow with their smartphone images.
Latest generation of imaging algorithms. The Lumia Black update further improves the image quality, especially in Lumia 1020. Among others, the improvements include a new oversampling algorithm, making images more natural looking with reduced noise, while ensuring photos remain wonderfully sharp.
The Lumia Black update also brings a series of enhancements from Microsoft to Nokia Lumia smartphones. These include safe driving mode - which cuts out unnecessary distractions when on the road and customized ringtones for each contact. Furthermore it's now also possible to close apps within the multitasking view and lock the screen rotation.
Nokia Lumia smartphones automatically check for updates every week, and will notify when it finds one. Otherwise, customers can go to Settings -> Phone update and check manually. If Lumia Black is ready for the phone it can be download and install it straight from that screen.
Cheers ~ Arne