My fellow MVP and MoDaCo webmaster Paul had the chance to play with the Orange SPV E200 during Microsoft's mÃ¶bius conference and here what's his first impressions:
It's VERY nice, apparently has the same processor as the e100:
- But is noticeably faster, probably due to the additional RAM (32MB).
- The camera is 640 x 480 still, but the picture taking application is excellent, with the update being very fluid, as you would expect from an internal camera.
- The phone includes a 'Camcorder' application which records at QVGA, and is suprisingly effective.
- The new joystick is a definite improvement on the old one, being very simple and smooth to use.
- I haven't had a big play with WMP, but it does have WMP9 codecs, and allows WMA format ringtones too.
- I haven't seen the egg timer at all in the period I had to play with it.
- Here is what I think is the best bit... MS have provided a native MMS client in Smartphone 2003! This means no more EZOS client, and the MS client is a vast improvement.
- Activesync over Bluetooth is supported in the base OS, so that will work, but the Headset profile needs to be implemented by the OEM - I think it's safe to assume that HTC have implemented this, although I haven't personally tested it.
- The E200 includes the new enhanced start menu previewed in the Orange presentation some months ago, which works pretty well.
- All in all, the E200 is a pretty exciting bit of kit, and something I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on for real testing!
Read it - "but is noticeably faster" [...] "I haven't seen the egg timer at all in the period I had to play with it". So as I said in many comments before, it's not because of the CPU only but also because of the OS support and integration. For me it means that even if the SPV E200 uses a "slow" CPU (only) like the SPVs before it runs faster and works more stable.
Beside this the specs are nothing really new as it was already known that the SPV E200 will use Windows Mobile 2003 and therefore will has a new Media Player as well as the hardware specifications like Bluetooth and camera was already known.
Now I want to see it finally released... ;-)
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information] Source : [MoDaCo]