Sprite Software, well known for it's Pocket PC Backup software yesterday announced a first public Beta release of Sprite Backup V5.0.0 for Windows Mobile 5.0. This Beta release, even far away from the final version, is an important step in preparing for the full commercial release of Sprite Backup and Sprite is very keen to hear your feedback to improve the backup experience if possible.
A working backup solution for Windows Mobile 5.0 is appreciated after Microsoft also removed the backup options from ActiveSync 4.x and due to the changed core system of Windows Mobile 5.0, most of the previous backup solutions doesn't works with Windows Mobile 5.0 anymore.
Sprite has done some extensive testing and has already found a number of issues including the following:
- Scheduling fails to run when phone has a security lock enabled
- When you cancel a Backup to PC (initiated on the Pocket PC) the PC agent displays "Backup Completed" message instead of "Backup Cancelled"
- Device may not power off after waking to perform the Scheduled Backup
- No Self Extracting Backups yet (still in development)
- Sprite Backup must first be installed on the Mobile device before performing a PC Agent initiated Backup
- Basic Mode Restore of encrypted backups does not work Ã¢â‚¬â€œ encrypted backups must be restored in Advanced mode
Right now, Sprite offers two Pocket PC versions, one for QVGA and one for VGA devices which can be download from Sprite.
Cheers ~ Arne