Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Windows Mobile News / INSIGHT: The truth about the HTC Himalaya USB (de-)charging problem Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Following last weeks news that the Boxwave miniSyc cable for xda II is available now and the discussion in the comments and the forum if a HTC Himalaya can be charged by USB I received further news!

According to HTC there is actually no difference in the pin structure of the HTC Himalaya to the previous HTC Wallaby (xda 1)! However, the Himalaya seems to have a bug which HTC actually is correcting.
The bug seems not to allow the device to be charged with low amperage power sources such as through the USB port! This was an early bug found through Microsoft own development with the device, and the fix corrects the low current charging problem. HTC has corrected this problem for some by providing a fix to update their software.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

arebelspy

I'm too lazy to register

Hopefully HTC will release their fix asap and not wait for Microsoft to have an EUU ready (and plan to just add their update to the EUU they release).  ^_^

-arebelspy

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

cheekymonkey

I'm too lazy to register

Excellent detective work Arne, great work!

What I don't get though is that sometimes it works (when I also get the full number of bars in the sync-ing icon) and then other times it doesn't (when no bars show). I've tried everything to replicate the times when it does work but I can't: connect up with the xda 2 off, then connecting whilst on, connecting the USB end forst, then the other... nothing seems to work.

arebelspy

I'm too lazy to register

I've heard that if you're below 20% it won't charge but if you're above it will?

-arebelspy

Johnny B Good

I'm too lazy to register

Received I Mate PPC, yesterday, thanks to Arne.

Wonderful machine, no doubt. Display is... out of this world !

USB charge works OK so far, no problem (2 charges from30%). Maybe has it been fixed already on this batch ?

One question though : why did the dongle and charger plug diameter changed ? No more compatible with the xda I ? Apparently the chargers give the same output voltage of 5 V, but old one is 0.1 A and new one is 0.2 A. If the pin structure is the same, then why ?

Wiz

I'm too lazy to register

Maybe it actually is out of a standardization point of view. We can now interchange with the SPV  family of Smartphones. I use my XDA charger in the office and SPV charger at home. Strikes me as more sensible to standardize among current products then among superseded products.

Sectorlord

I'm too lazy to register

Arnee,

I just bought a new original XDA 2 USB sync/charge and it works flawlessly like the included cradle )w/o the PSU).  I wonder if these original from O2 has some resistor or cap or even small amp to regulate the charge unlike the old cables?

Effan

I'm too lazy to register

I have a sync-charge cable from gomadic which I used with my XDA.

I did not want to keep charging my XDA all the time that I was syncing, so I put one small switch in the power (charging) wire, which allowed me to sync without charging, and charge when I want.

Now I have the XDA 2 (i-mate). I tried the cable with the i-mate, and had similar problems as everybody is experiencing.

But when I turn the charge switch on the cable to OFF, the cable works, and the phone charges without problem.

Sugit

I'm too lazy to register

Hi,

The stange thing is that te difference is so big: I started using a Boxwave miniSync last week. It syncs fine on all computers, but on my home PC drains my Qtek2020 (XDA II) from 90% to 63% in 2 hours. And on two other computers it charges with the same speed! I wonder if the software is causing a tremendous fuel consumption when attached to the home computer... It cant be that it's just not charging, because simply switching on stand by gives far less discharge.

Jeroen

I'm too lazy to register

This same "drain" occurs on the carkit I have been using for 2 years with my XDA. If I put the MDA II in, the battery drains completely in about 3 hrs! If I put my XDA back in, it charges very fast.

The funny thing is you don't notice it: The yellow led is indicating its charging and the battery panel also says its charging! Took me a while to figure this one out.

I hope we will see a fix very soon.

lvermont

I'm too lazy to register

Well the t-mobile rom upgrade does not have any fix for the charging issue witht eh sync and charge from boxwave. The old chargers for the MDA I still work fine for me however.

timrossi

I'm too lazy to register

So guys what do i do-I want to charge my pda2 with a sync cable supplied for the pda1 in my car-is there a patch I can download? where do I go to?

Tim

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.