Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Thoughts / THOUGHT: To synchronize or not to synchronize? For sure but how? Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Well, this topic is hitting me around once or twice a quarter - minimum. It's about synchronizing all your devices to have everything up to date and it's a multi-device question. And it's a pain, every time I think about...

Why it is hitting me again? Because of my new Notebook I got yesterday but it covers multi facets: Desktops, Notebooks, Pocket PCs and Smartphones. And all I'm writing about now is for consumers, freelancers, etc - I'm not talking about corporate environments where you might use Microsoft Exchange or other solutions.
First of all I have to explain that my PC is running 24 hours, 7 days a week thanks to a reliable DSL provider which gives me access with 1024/256 KBit without any disconnects after 24 hours or other annoying stuff - so my PC is "always on" and even if it doesn't have a fixed IP address you can use services like Dynu.com to get a subdomain matched to your current PC IP. DSL is one of the strong growing technologies in the IP environment and I'm not the only one anymore who is always on - I'm sure.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

MoJim

I'm too lazy to register

Clap clap clap! Yes, you are not alone!

I have the same problems with my PC, notebooks and PocketPC PhoneEdition and when I bought my PocketPC I thought it would be supported!

If only anyone from M$ would read your thoughts above and would comment it but I don't expect to get an answer. I spoke with some guys on a conference and they clearly haven't seen what I was talking about! :-(

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Steven -fyiguy- Hughes

I'm too lazy to register

This is something that many people are looking for and I have asked people at Microsoft if any products would enable this besides setting up your own personal Exchange 2003 Server for the individual user with multiple devices, and I got the typical response of "great feedback and we will look into it..."

I really hope they do look into it, I would be nice to purchase a "Personal Outlook/Exchange server that would web enable your desktop via a secure login to be accessed and shared among many mobile devices...

The only current solution besides creating your own 2003 Exchange server in the house is to sign up for a hosted Exchange Server 2003 account that would allow you to do this on any web enabled device. Don Sorcinelli wrote some great articles on doing just this.

Exchange Server 2003: Is a Hosted Exchange 2003 Solution the Answer to Your Outlook Woes?

Hosted Exchange Server 2003, Part I - Outlook Data Access Everywhere and Anywhere

Hosted Exchange Server 2003, Part II - Exchange Server 2003 and Your Phone

You can read all 3 of them here:

http://www.bostonpocketpc.c...

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Same question here... WHat if yo don't have Exchange? Is that the only solution?

I hope in the near future... Microsoft will have a solution to it and treat synchronization between a PC and a Notebook or Tablet PC as a priority.

I have gotten to sync my Pocket PC and my Smartphone to my PC wirelessly... via a GSM connection... but not GPRS... I had to use CSD better known as dial up. It works but it isn't really pretty.  A faster connection would have still been better.

I have been able to do it via Remote ActiveSync using a 56K CF modem... but still that doesn't really give you te reality of true mobile connectivity...

I guess the best way and what we all have been waitin for would be the capability to ActiveSync via Wi-Fi Hotspot or GPRS... or EDGE.

I know the competition will be listening to this... so who will be first to implement such solutions?

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Frank McPherson

I'm too lazy to register

Arne, I think we've been asking for some form of server sync for the last three years or more! smile

I have implemented a solution at home for email by using Mercury/32 and setting it up as an IMAP mail server. That at least allows me to centralize my email on one server and then access that email from any client PC on my home network where I have Windows PCs, Mac OS X, and Pocket PCs. Now if I switch between client machiens I can access the same email. Mercury/32 is free and very easy to set up for home users.

The one problem with my implementation of Mercury/32 is that it is behind my firewall so I can't get to it from an Internet connection. Now I could open ports and implement Dynamic DNS since I use a cable modem. What I settled on is a bit of brute force by forwarding a copy of every email I get to an account at Fastmail. (http://www.fastmail.fm). I can access the Fastmail account from any Pocket PC or Smartphone I am using, it supports SSL for security, and provides an SMTP server using the IMAP server userid and password, just as Inbox on Pocket PC likes. I've been using this combination of Mercury/32 and Fastmail for several months now, and it works good for me.

Jim Sparkman

I'm too lazy to register

Arne,

Take a look at:

SynchPST

http://www.synchpst.com/

- Jim

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Steven: All this external Exchange stuff is nice BUT can Exchange work as a POP3 client as well and download E-Mails from different providers? No, it can't because it is the mail server. The reason for this feature is simple: I'm running several E-Mail accounts on several domains like ppcw.net, ppcw-editorial.net, ppcw-shop.net, hotmail.com and even some private domains I'm not going to talk here. So overall I might have 5 - 8 E-Mail accounts on different domains.

What such a solution have to provide is downloading it from the mail servers and make it available through different sources like Outlook, PPC/SMP Inbox, Web/WAP interface, etc. Mostly everything Exchange provides but unfortunately it doesn't provide downloading E-Mails from other servers (as far as I know).

@Carlo: Sorry but I did CSD ActiveSync synchronization in the late 90s! We have a new century, Microsoft is propagating a connected world, is releasing connected devices but miss the small part in between - synchronization! Dialing into my PC (which is connected by DSL) with 9.6 k (while the device supports GPRS up to something around 50 k) is a little bit lame; isn't it?

@Steven: Oh man, don't remember me! :-( Yes - we did and we see the result... ;-) I even asked this year's MVP summit again... Well, you see the result - I'm still going nuts to find a solution.

And yes - it's even more important today then 3 years ago: our Pocket PCs have GPRS build-in, we have Smartphones, we used to have Notebooks which also includes Wi-Fi adapters now and we can access the Internet near everywhere thanks to public HotSpots and Bluetooth enabled Notebooks and cellphones.

Also the workarounds you've described above are good ones but still workaround. Let us face it: We have powerful PCs at home today which are even more powerful then servers 5 years ago, the connection to the Internet we use is at least as fast as corporates had 5 years ago, our Notebooks are fully equipped and we have mobile devices nobody was dreaming about when the first Palm Pilot was released 100 years ago.

I have a total storage here of around 160 GB and all the data like mails, contacts, appointments, etc are stored on a machine. Why the bloody hell I have to start now to outsource it?

@Jim: Sounds like a solution! :-D That's what I will give a shot now! :-D

Cheers ~ Arne

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Jim: This SynchPST is what I was looking for. Had a 5 minutes test sync only and already bought it! This 39.95 bucks was a low brainer for me! Thanks for the link; haven't seen it before... Pretty cool! :-)

Cheers ~ Arne

ChrisSpera

I'm too lazy to register

I would also like to see Microsoft rework ActiveSync so that I can have more than one device connected to a PC at a time.  I have 3 Pocket PC's right now, and foresee myself getting a SmartPhone in the future.  I would like to be able to keep all of them current without syncing one, disconnecting it, connecting the second, syncing it, disconnecting it, etc.  That gets to be very old, very quickly.

Thanks also for the link to SyncPST. I will be looking into that as well...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera

Lutz

I'm too lazy to register

@ChrisSpera

there are plenty of code snippets around that show you how you can have unlimited ActiveSync partners at the same time (including email, which is the really tricky part). Basically just sensing who is connecting and then adjusting the registry accordingly. HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows CE ServicesPartners 

@Arne

Have you ever thought about using Lotus Notes ? Notes is doing replication since ages, and nowadays is also supporting PocketPCS, IMAP etc.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Arne: Yes it is quite lame! Only if HSCSD is still supported... but some Telcos even droped HSCSD in favor of GPRS... so we're back to square 1 with the oldest possible way of connecting via GSM phone... CSD.

But as lame as it is... it does work pretty well... if you have the patience and the money to burn.

Mabuhay! ~ Carlo

Cheers ~ Arne

Andreas

I'm too lazy to register

Arne, check also

http://www.vaita.com

for OSA

Stephan Schmidt (Smartphone2002.info)

I'm too lazy to register

I'm also use Syncpst (http://www.syncpst.com) and I'm very happy with this solution.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Lutz: Are you kidding!? ;-) I'm glad not to use Lotus Notes anymore... But yes, your are right - Microsoft should definitely have a look into Lotus Notes to see what others do better!

@Stephan: Yes, SyncPST is a fine piece of software but only one part of the overall solution.

Cheers ~ Arne

Jim Sparkman

I'm too lazy to register

I'm glad I could help out.  SynchPST is a great solution and gets better all the time, as it seems the company is committed to the product.

Pages: 1 2
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.