Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / REVIEW: Audiovox RTM-8000 GSM/GPRS CF Card Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Owen

I'm too lazy to register

Arne,

What is the impact on battery life? Using voice? Using data? In standby mode?

The big draw back for me on the voice side would be the lack of a vibrating ring feature which I use almost constantly with my current phone.

- Owen

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Matt

I'm too lazy to register

I have a Genio e550G which is a big change for me from the Palm OS.  I am interested to know if there is a solution for me to stay wirelessly connected from anywhere?  Do i need to connect to a cell phone?  I am still learning the Pocket PC and having fun but i am a little confused.  Thanks!

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Matt: Depends on what you are looking for. If you want to use data only occasional the combination Pocket PC/GPRS phone is a good decision.
If you will use data regular, it might be a good solution to take a GPRS card in addition to your cell phone! But please keep in mind, that this solution (doesn't matter which GPRS card you take) can not replace a mobile phone seriously. So in that case you might need two SIM cards, depending on how often you use data and/or voice!

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

VL

I'm too lazy to register

Will audiovox come out with drivers for windows CE.NET?

Nobody

I'm too lazy to register

You talk nothing of the quility of the data, or the speed. All you talk about in the data section is the software. Does this make since? I would like to see some speed results, and some screen shots of PIE and maybe some program tests like with Pocket AIM or with ThunderHawk. Just a thought.

Anonymous

I'm too lazy to register

I am curious, you mention several times that this combination cannot replace a real mobile phone. For what reasons specifically.  Size, weight, battery life, quality of sound, quality of rf performance, etc???

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Nobody: Yes, it makes sense. Why should I post any screenshots of ThunderHawk or PIE? I mean you know how it looks like and it doesn't looks different by using ActivSync, Bluetooth, a fixed line modem or a wireless modem like the RTM-8000.
If you need more information from the technical/feature side have a look here on my pre-announcement of the card.

The most interesting part of the card for most readers here is how it works, not how a PIE screenshot looks like cause the technical specifications are typical GPRS state of the art features.
Cheers ~ Arne

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Anonymous: It's pretty easy why I've stated this several times. It's simply because you have to use a headset to make voice calls which means you are not reachable if you forgot your headset. The second is that the battery stand-by time isn't as long as it is with a mobile phone. The Pocket PC itself has a shorter stand-by time but using an additional wireless card cuts the stand-by time again. This kind of hardware isn't designed to replace a cell phone but mostly for data.
Also, if you switch off your Pocket PC you are disconnected and therefore you are pretty limited. The point, why I'm repeating it again and again, is to make this limitation clear for everybody because I got many mails in the past where user reported me that they was unsatisfied with card solutions for voice, doesn't matter if it was a Nokia Card Phone, an Option GlobeTrotter or the AudioVox RTM-8000 now. It's not because this cards a bad in general but just because the technical limitations itself!

Cheers ~ Arne

Sudermatt

I'm too lazy to register

I wonder about battery life with the HP568.  I know that I can turn off the backlight.  I wonder if I could get a full day's supply with one charge, with the backlight off, but the unit on.

Has anybody tested the outer boundries of the HP 568 Battery life with the RTM8000?

Thanks,
Matt

Almost ready to pull the trigger.

danoldo

I'm too lazy to register

I have got an iPaq 3970+a compact flash jachet+an audiovox rtm-8000.
The question is:
Can I sobstitute the supplied headset with a bluetooth headset?
Let me know...
Thank you in advance

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@danoldo: No, you can't! Voice isn't passed to the Pocket PC. That's the reason why you can not use the Pocket PC for handsfree as well as not for Bluetooth beside the fact that the H3970 doesn't support the Bluetooth Headset profile!

Cheers ~ Arne

Andy Liu

I'm too lazy to register

I brought it.
But seem IA dialer soft have some problem.
Is it only can be run at WinCE or Pocket PC?
I use IBM notebook OS:WindowsXP

Anonymous

I'm too lazy to register

How can I make a call from my contact with international call symbol '+'?

Thanks.

Nick Le Lievre

I'm too lazy to register

Its simple you carry your power adapter plug with you and plug into mains whenever possible.

Ask yourself how often are you away from a power plug for more than say 5 hours.

Josema Pocket

I'm too lazy to register

Solution for pin problem:

Como ya sabeis el proble está en la cadena famosa, pues bien, me bajé el programa dialer famoso, pero no conseguí nada, porque no capturaba bien la conexión (es decir no hacía nada).

Ya un poco harto, me decidí a buscar en el registro con la utilidad que podeis encontrar AQUI y concretamente seguir los pasos que os detallo:

1º Abrir HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2º Abrir Drivers
3º Abrir UNIMODEM
4º en la cadena INIT sale:
1 AT
2 ATE0V1&C1&D...
5º pinchamos en menu Edit y sobre New String Value (para añadir una clave nueva a esta directiva del registro)
6º En value Name ponemos 3
7º en Value Data ponemos AT+CPIN="1234"
(Por supuesto donde pongo 1234 poneis vuestro pin)
8º Pinchar sobre OK. . .

!!! Y ya está !!!, la proxima vez que el modem tenga que inicializarse el solito va a poner en los parametros de inicialización el PIN y FUNCIONA.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 … 8
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.