Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / REVIEW: HTC Himalaya CF & VGA Backpack for Himalaya Pocket PC Phone Edition Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

As announced, long time ago, the HTC Himalaya also features the backpack concept - something similar to the previous iPAQ Jacket concept. The first - and maybe the only Backpack we will ever see is HTC's own CF card and presentation Backpack.
I've tested this 3-in-1 Backpack with an additional battery, Type II CF slot and VGA output for projection to projector during the past weeks with my PPCW.Net i-Mate (which is an HTC Himalaya).

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

farnold

I'm too lazy to register

Arne, thanks you for the review! Open and based on experienced as per usual - and not based on marketing collateral as you find it somewhere else. Yep, I agree - that thing is as pretty as a brick. I was hoping to see something much nicer and smaller. Since I really like to have both VGA and CF with my XDA II it may be inevidable for me to get this brick... but I'm less optimistic than I was before and may take that thought with me for a while before I decide...

Q1: How does the Power Settings display show both batteries and their current status? Can you add a screen copy of this?

Q2: The battery inside the pack isn't user replaceable, is it?

Cheers

Frank

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Matt M

I'm too lazy to register

It's easy to see why O2 didn't offer a side-on photo of the thing when I initially saw it. That thing is so huge, but I love the functionality. I've been patiently waiting for their general availability in Australia, but they keep coming in dribs & drabs :-(  I can handle the size in exchange for what it offers, although I wouldn't be inclined to have it attached all the time!

Dale Reeck

I'm too lazy to register

Actually, they AREN'T available most places and haven't been since an initial shipment in February as far as I can tell. Every web site I've contacted in several different coutries only have it on backorder. That has been the case for months. Only a few places in Asia, like Singapore, have it in stores. HTC's delivery of accessories for the XDA II has been absolutely pathetic.

Ed

I'm too lazy to register

I have had my backpack for a while and though it does add alittle bulk I'm very happy with it because it does everything it is supposed to extremely well. I really like the ability to view you speaker notes & slide on the XDA II but only project the slides via the attached projector. Not eaven my notebook has that feature.  I don't have it fitted all the time, just when I want to make a presentation or when I want to use my CF WiFi card. The additional battery power in both instances is VERY handy. Main disappointment with the unit is that is cannot be charged without being attached to the XDA II. Now if someone could make an adapter that fits to the backpack's internal bus slot and will accept the stardard XDA II USB charge cable I'd buy one immediately.

Starstreak

I'm too lazy to register

I wish they would just make a 1200mAh battery for the back.  it shouldn't make it anywhere near as thick and it would get rid of one of the reasons why I sold my XDAII.One day of use was too low.  Considering I used the phone for only like 15minutes in that day.

farnold

I'm too lazy to register

Hm, Starstreak, with some hope I think we will see a third party offering a battery for the XDAII that offers more capacity than the original one... something like 2,000 to 2,500 mAh...

Wijnand

I'm too lazy to register

I'm surprised there are amongst you that have power problems. I own a Qtek 2020 (XDAII or whatever) and use it now for some time. My Qtek stays standby for the whole weekend with some power to spare for the monday until I drop it in the car loader. In the meantime I use it for some phonecalls, a little bit of web-browsing etc. No complaints about the battery. I would like to have the CF card option though, because SD card + wifi looks very fragile to me.

Michael G.

I'm too lazy to register

I love my Backpack wink! But i only use ist for presentations an connect it just before i start to work with it.

xristos

I'm too lazy to register

what about the video quality in use whith a projector?

Starstreak

I'm too lazy to register

I had mine for about two weeks (I think) before I sold it.

Just with 2 phone calls totalling around 15mins, and using the organizer for address lookup and such.  Nothing time consuming, by the end of a 8 hour work day I had abour 32% or something like that.  Really bad.  Dunno why. signal str was good too.

Helio Diamant

I'm too lazy to register

The BackPack can also be bought at ClubiMate.com for $124.95 .

Great review, Arne!

Saif

I'm too lazy to register

You can also use this on the M1000 on Orange.

Also, a quick question.

how does this affect the usage of the keyboard? Can you still sit it on the keyboard with the backpack on? It would be a shame if you can't. means you'll have to carry about the original battery along with the backpack....

Dale Reeck

I'm too lazy to register

Big surprise - Club iMate is also out of stock of backpacks.

Dj Holistic

I'm too lazy to register

I have just been looking at TV tuners at http://www.eopstech.com and they say that I gotta buy a backpack to fit it to my XDA II...Can you imagine the final size of the thing with all that attched to it!?!? No thanks!

Pages: 1 2
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.