Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / GSM, GPRS, EDGE & UMTS Accessories / Sim card in Laptop Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

txcomm

I am new to this whole subject...and truly don't even know what to ask.  I have heard that there is a device that I can put my GSM sim card in and slip it into my laptop to and use the GSM service to connect my laptop to my server.  Please forgive me for sounding stupid...the truth is I not only sound that way... Any help with what in the heck I'm looking for would be greatly appreciated.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Hi and welcome to the::unwired and your questions is nothing you have to excuse for! smile
What you are looking for is a "PCMCIA" or "PC Card" modem which is available for GSM, GPRS, EV-DO and UMTS.
Basically this PC cards works like mobile phones except they don't have a screen nor a battery but you plug it into the laptop. Therese cards come with a piece of software which allows you to enter the PIN, to select the network as well as creating a data connection to the Internet. Once connected, you can do mostly everything you can do from your Internet connected home PC as well, browsing the web, sending and receiving E-Mails, etc...

So yes, you need a PC card, you plug the SIM into this card and after you plug the PC card into the laptop.

I suggest you visit Option who is well known for their data PC cards to get an overview what is available in general. However, availability depends on your location (country), carrier you have a contract with and technology your carrier supports (GSM, GPRS, EDGE, UMTS, HSDPA, EV-DO etc.).

http://www.option.com/products/overview.shtml

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask us anytime!

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.