Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / REVIEW: O2 Xda trion aka HTC Hermes Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

For some time now, I\'ve used the 300 MHz version of the HTC Hermes as well as the 400 MHz version of the same device, here from O2 Germany which is called O2 Xda trion. While the 300 MHz version was an early development and field test device, without the final button layout nor with the final ROM, the O2 Xda trion I got from O2 for this review is the final hardware, with the updated button layout, casing and colors as well as it features the new button layout. But even more important is the CPU, which is the same ARM-based Samsung 2442A processor as used for the 300 MHz version but clocked to 400 MHz.

This brings me to the overall features of the Xda trion. It features basically everything, a Pocket PC Phone Edition can features today, except GPS but the devices features the latest Windows Mobile 5.0 including AKU 2, communicates via tri-band UMTS/W-CDMA or quad-band GSM, GPRS and EDGE as well as via Bluetooth Bluetooth (compliant with v2.0 without EDR), W-LAN (IEEE 802.11b/g compliant) and the good old IrDA. Cable-wise it support mini USB slave connections and supports microSD memory cards.

The device

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

TomP

I'm too lazy to register

Another great extensive review here, well done! Thanks a lot and thanks for all your comments about the device. Now I have a better impression. Also now I know, that I want the TyTN as well, as soon as it is released. Initially HTC said end of July, so it can't take too long anymore.
Gives me enough time to upgrade my GSM plan to UMTS as well! cool

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Facedanzr

I'm too lazy to register

Great to hear about you initial impressions on the device. I don't think it's fair to compare it to the Prophet though. As far as I can see these devices are completely different, and what one prefers is a matter of subjective preference. I't is, however, interesting to see how it compares to the Wizard. It would be interesting to see a comparison of these in a benchmark test.

Name Surname

I'm too lazy to register

Is it really a microSD, not a miniSD??? I hope it's just a typing error otherwise sad
And sad also for the lack of the audio minijack? It will impossible to listen to music and charge the device at the same time, something that I do very often!

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

No, it' not a typo. It's *microSD* not miniSD.

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Paquette

Also now I know, that I want the TyTN as well, as soon as it is released. Initially HTC said end of July, so it can't take too long anymore.

It's sad to see that T-Mobile is losing its "first mover" status. When the Hermes was first announced, there was even word-of-mouth of a 3-months T-Mo exclusivity. Until now, while O2 Germany is already taking orders and even HTC has announced end-user availability for end of July, T-Mo Germany hasn't even announced an official launch date. On its website there are several upcoming phones with anticipated launch dates between "within the next weeks" and "September" but no sign of it's Vario II variant of the Hermes.

ZDNet.de reports anticipated launch for mid-August
http://www.zdnet.de/news/tkomm/0,390231 … 195,00.htm

Way too late for my liking, especially as this would be the only UMTS phone that could take advantage of T-Mo's UMTS mobile TV - a service which will unfortunately be terminated end of August.

Too bad. I think I am going to leave T-Mo.

Paquette

BongoUser

Website

Paquette wrote:

Also now I know, that I want the TyTN as well, as soon as it is released. Initially HTC said end of July, so it can't take too long anymore.

It's sad to see that T-Mobile is losing its "first mover" status. When the Hermes was first announced, there was even word-of-mouth of a 3-months T-Mo exclusivity. Until now, while O2 Germany is already taking orders and even HTC has announced end-user availability for end of July, T-Mo Germany hasn't even announced an official launch date. On its website there are several upcoming phones with anticipated launch dates between "within the next weeks" and "September" but no sign of it's Vario II variant of the Hermes.

ZDNet.de reports anticipated launch for mid-August
http://www.zdnet.de/news/tkomm/0,390231 … 195,00.htm

Way too late for my liking, especially as this would be the only UMTS phone that could take advantage of T-Mo's UMTS mobile TV - a service which will unfortunately be terminated end of August.

Too bad. I think I am going to leave T-Mo.

Paquette

Hi,
i think T-Mo has learn a lot with MDA Pro. They had a lot of problems with it.
I have the new XDA trion and i think not all all perfect on this device.

It is better to wait some weeks more and get a device with "good" ROM.
Some XDA tion users report the first problems with GPRS, keyboard light or WLAN.
So i think the next ROM Update for trion makes it better.

The next is that on trion is HSDPA not enabled.
So if you want use HSDPA with other providers, you have to wait for next ROM Update or for Vario II.

Perhaps the xda developers find a wayt to enable it if the TyTN is released wink

I have buy the trion only because the MDA Vario is to slow for me.
Features like UMTS or HSDPA are not important for me and i can't use it here.

In some online shops in germany you can buy the trion with a E+ or T-Mobile contract (i think is have read it on any forum).

Last edited by BongoUser (19.07.2006 22:56:59)

Regards BongoUser

Visit me: http://www.fit4cat.de

roy

I'm too lazy to register

how do i find it

BongoUser

Website

roy wrote:

how do i find it

http://www.momp.de for example

There you can buy the trion with E+

Regards BongoUser

Visit me: http://www.fit4cat.de

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Since roy is from the US, a German online shop will not help him too much.
roy, also keep in mind, that the O2 Xda trion is available with German Windows Mobile only. Have a look for the HTC TyTN, basically the same device, with a slightly different industrial design but available in English also.

Cheers ~ Arne

gpstoloff

Website

US users can check with Expansys (who are always accepting orders for future products); however, GBT Mobile (http://www.gbtmobile.com) is showing a late-July delivery date.

twojakes

I'm too lazy to register

how about watching a movie? does it slow down?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

No, the 400 MHz are strong enough to watch movies from the microSD card.

Cheers ~ Arne

bnycastro

Loyal Board Member

Website

The Hermes looks like a promising replacement for the Wizard, I might even get one if I can find a TyTn [I like the look better than the Trion or Dopod 838 pro] here in Asia but what I'm really waiting for is the replacement for the Universal. Is there any news at all about a second VGA PocketPC Phone?

Bny Castro
May the Force Be With You...

Visit My Blog: The Beansterâ„¢ Blog

Epic

I'm too lazy to register

Hi Arnie,

An excellent review about the O2 Xda Trion. I am from Mumbai, India and presently using the O2 Xda II Mini, yeah way too old and outdated and hence was really confused as to what i should upgrade to. After reading your review, i am convinced that im goin in for the Trion. You have mentioned that the Trion is out with the German version of Windows Mobile. Is this phone available all over the world, especially in South Asia? Im desperate for a new phone now and i mainly use it for emailing and video conferencing. Wat should i do? Pleae help.

Pages: 1 2
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.