Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / PHOTOVIEW: i-mate JAQ3 Windows Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition [UPDATE] Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Thanks to i-mate, today I received a brand new i-mate JAQ3. Made by TechFaith Wireless, the i-mate JAQ3 is i-mate's second Windows Mobile Pocket PC not manufactured by HTC.
Similar to the Palm Treo 750, the i-mate JAQ3 is also a Windows Mobile Pocket PC with a thumb keyboard bellow the screen. However, unlike the Treo 750, the JAQ3 isn't UMTS enabled but is featuring quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE only but also supports WiFi 802.11 b/g as well as Bluetooth 1.2 (with A2DP and AVRC support).
The i-mate JAQ3, which features Windows Mobile 5.0 AKU 3.2, was designed with user preferences in mind - since its full QWERTY keyboard, five navigation buttons and scroll wheel allow easy navigation and use of services including E-Mail. Unusual is the the 2.4" color touch screen which is neither portrait nor square but landscape - as we know it from the latest Windows Mobile Smartphones like the HTC Excalibur/Cavalier and Samsung i320/i600. Last but not least, the devices is also featuring a 2.0 megapixel camera.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

bigneeker

I'm too lazy to register

can you post some comparison pics to other pocket pcs. i would like to see how big or small it is.
thanks

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Sure, just updated it with a couple of comparison shots with Pocket PCs and Smartphones.

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Friedl

I'm too lazy to register

Thanks for the comparison shots but this thing is huge!!! How is the keyboard? I've recently played with the Treo 750 and I seriously dislike the keyboard. Either the unit I tested was faulty or it's really that bad. The tactical feedback wasn't nice.

Juice

I'm too lazy to register

I totally agree with the tactile feedback on the Treo. It's not enough. I'm very curious to read unwired's review on the Jaq3. I really want this phone but the size is almost an issue. Kind of wide. Is it wider then a Nokia E61? 

Anyway I'm still kind of gaga over this phone. I hope it's stable. Someone mentioned the screen on the UBIQUIO 501 was the best quality screen they've seen on a PPC phone ever. I hope this is the same screen. As it is not 2.8 and only 2.4 that would really help. Also can you comment on the quality of the telescoping stylus. Is it telescoping. Does it fit more securely then the HTC Wizard stylus. Thanks!

Juice

I'm too lazy to register

Also if you can comparison shot it with a Treo 750. That pretty much its direct competitor. In PPC world that is.

JaToAc

thanks for the pictures. i really looked forward to this one to replace my i320, but thanks to the comparison photos i now can see that it's a little bit to big for my taste... the formfactor of the i320 is to good to give up.

neekme

thanks arne for the pics.
i have a jaq3 on its way from dubai and i was wondering if you could tell me your rom version so that i can compare to see if i have the latest one.

do you know where i can find the latest rom for the jaq3?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Since I received my JAQ3 from Dubai as well, I'm sure both devices have the same ROM. Anyway, it's:

OS 5.1.422 (Build 15633.3.2.0)
Soft Revision: TF_WM5_Pebble_VER_02.08_S0612062107(10.163)

i-mate ROM updates can be always found here: ftp://ftp.clubimate.com/ as well as under http://www.clubimate.com

UPDATE: Just checked the Club i-mate site and at the moment there is no new ROM available but i-mate says: The launch ROM build is based on the Windows Mobile 5 AKU 3.2 Operating System. A ROM release V2.08 will be available shortly. To check your current version, Press Start > Settings > Version Info and check the Soft Revision.

Last edited by Arne Hess (19.01.2007 11:44:28)

Cheers ~ Arne

neekme

hey arne
i got my jaq3 today and my rom is older than yours: TF_WM5_Pebble_VER_02.05_UP1_So611061430(10.163)

is it possible for you to extract your rom and send it to me? or point me to a site where i can download the latest one?

thanks

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

It looks like the new 2.08 ROM isn't released yet but it should become available from Club i-mate homepage soon (see the links above). Just keep an eye on their site.

Cheers ~ Arne

neekme

i hope its soon because my jaq3 is a little unstable right now.
hopefully it will fix a few of the issues i have.

saeed

I'm too lazy to register

any news about the rom update as my jaq3 is not working well !!

Hipaq

I'm too lazy to register

Well,
I also have the 2.05 version, and would like to get the 2.08.
Where to download?
My Jaq3 is so unstable, loses signal all the time...
anybody has a solution for that?

What about keyboard backlaight to stay longer on? IS there a tweak for that?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Haven't heard anything yet... Sorry guys...

Cheers ~ Arne

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.