Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Windows Mobile News / THOUGHT: Where are the Windows Phone 7 Notifications and Live Tiles? Anywhere in the Cloud! Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

When Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7, the company was very proud to be different with its new smartphone operating system. And one highlights Microsoft highlighted during its presentation in Barcelona as well as later during other events was the idea that Windows Phone 7 will be way more alive and interactive than other mobile operating systems. The idea was pretty easy explained - instead of just having static shortcuts to applications, these shortcuts - called Live Tiles - should inform the user that status updates are available, for whatever the application behind the shortcut stands for. From message updates to weather updates to news updates to available application updates.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Carl

I'm too lazy to register

How to: Update Your Tile Without Push Notifications for Windows Phone (MSDN)

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library … 92%29.aspx

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

As Microsoft wrote on your link: "If you would like to update your application Tile's background image without sending push notifications". So this doesn't help to get for instance Twitter or Facebook notifications!

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

kd

I'm too lazy to register

as a developer, i would go about it this way...

i would use the update tile sceduler to ping the server to download the tile background (as in the link above), and when that pings, call a script that would also push the textual data as well (if required)

doesnt that work?

worst case scenario, you can overlay the text information on to the tile background.

Peter Nowak

I'm too lazy to register

Sorry. Nice idea but this doesn't work. It is only for scheduled backgound picture Download.No interaction possible.

Mario

I'm too lazy to register

So and where is the difference to Apple Push Notifications Service? It's exactly the same for iOS here.

Apple back in the days when they announced Push Notifications said they want it to be this way because there has to be a central/unified way so that not every app has to run in the background and poll the dedicated server and hence drain battery.

All in all your article is pointless as you obviously haven't recognized that the things we hold in hand are little computers with accentuation on LITTLE and they are simply not made for running dozens of background polling apps.

kd

I'm too lazy to register

@peter

what I mean is to do the following; (hopefully you are a developer and will get what I mean)

for the image download, this is how they are saying to do it...

mySchedule.Interval = UpdateInterval.EveryDay;
    mySchedule.MaxUpdateCount = 7;
    mySchedule.Recurrence = UpdateRecurrence.Interval;
    mySchedule.RemoteImageUri = new Uri(@"http:\\www.contoso.com\myimage.png");

... theoretically you could change line 4 to ...

mySchedule.RemoteImageUri = new Uri(@"http:\\www.contoso.com\myscript.aspx?param1=abc&param2=123");

... or something similar.

so then you can have user information posted to your server, and now that your script is being called at a scheduled interval or whatnot, you can now also check (in myscript.aspx) if a push notification is required, and if so, push it.

and then all you have to do with myscript.aspx is to make it pretend like its an image with the mime type and post a proper image byte stream

would work no?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Mario: The article is neither pointless nor is everyone using an iPhone or knows how the iOS notification system works. But a lot of new Windows Phone 7 (power) users as well as consumers wondered during the past days (see Twitter, Facebook or forums) why there are no Live Tiles for certain applications (especially where it would make real sense). All the article should do was explaining why there are no Live Tiles and notifications available (yet), which makes Windows Phone 7 less interactive than other phones. However, one strength of Windows Phone 7 should be the interactivity with the user anyway - reducing the "Really?" effect.

@kd: Yes, Peter is a Windows Phone (7) Developer (MVP) and I will let him know that you have a code suggestion for your suggested workaround.

Cheers ~ Arne

Toni

I'm too lazy to register

I agree with Arne. I have never used iPhone but I am a long time Windows Mobile user, recently playing with Android. Since yersterday I have HTC Trophy and noticed that I don't receive any Facebook or Twitter updates like on my excellent HTC Legend. Thought it was me or Vodafone but a quick search showed me that it is because of Windows Phone.
So far I like it a lot. But I miss a lot of useful Windows Mobile and Android features and also notifications. I don't do much Email but more Facebook and I always have to open it. So I want to thank Arne and hope Facebook and Twitter will have notifications soon!

Peter Nowak

I'm too lazy to register

Hi guys,
sorry for he late reply.

@kd: Yes, in this particular case you are right. Probably I have been misunderstanding your quote earlier, as I was under the impression, that you were talking about client functionality.
Nevertheless - In theory your suggestion shall work. But the scheduled update is type of whaky. I for my person have been trying to get the update working and failed. A lot of other MVPs have been trying and failed under specific circumstances as well, which I'm not able to disclose here. Sorry.
What I'm not sure about your suggestion is, if the URI is checked on assignment to the property. The documentation about this is pretty thin. Missing debug features make this not an easy job.
But following your path and assuming this would work you have to keep in mind, that for large established Providers like Twitter and Facebook f.e. an invest in evelopment and infrastructure would be necessary to get this functionality running from server side.
Regarding that WP7 has started now as a "V 1.0", would you invest into a new started platform where you aren't sure, if this functionality will be changed in a future version?
It has been announced that a new update will be released in Q1 2011, which will include Copy/Paste. Nothing more is known, yet.
I, as a providder would sit tight and see what will happen, wouldn't you?
So the question isn't about technical functionality, but the big picture.
This is my personal opinion.

Cheers, Peter

kd

I'm too lazy to register

@peter

i am pretty sure the uri can only be set when assigning the property as you say... so that means the only real information you can pass is like a user id (or a device ID?) i dont know... anyway, im sure there are security issues around it regardless.

with guys like twitter and facebook... i think the fact that they dont push notifications is inexcusable... if they commit to developing the app, they should have gone the whole way... but i guess its a time/money thing, so hopefully soon.

but for the guys that dont own the data... this might be an option in some cases.

but yeah i agree... using the method I presented would probably fall in the 'hack' category.

wait and see is the way to go

Ola

I'm too lazy to register

FYI third party apps do have access to live tiles. Research before you point out something, check this out for live tile video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-WTGT-BYc0

Toni

I'm too lazy to register

Oh really? Can you also give me a link to a Live Tiles video for my Facebook and Twitter app on my HTC Trophy? Get your facts straight!

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Yes, you are right but what do you want to tell me? I have never written that 3rd party apps can't make notifications or Live Tiles! Now, we have the first but still only application available which supports Live Tiles, right - but please keep in mind that this article was written *before* WeatherBug was released. So what's you point? Also the article above doesn't say it's not possible, it only explain that it's done different now than before on Windows Mobile or Android and since it's done different now many notifications and Live Tiles are missed which might be expected to be there.
However, the conclusion is till the same: As long as push notifications and Live Tiles aren't broadly supported/used by 3rd party apps, users have to jump in and out to get the information.

Cheers ~ Arne

subzerohf

I'm too lazy to register

Arne is only pointing out the facts.  And the implication is that the true potential of WP7 is not realized.  Microsoft should have done more promoting or helping developers to implement notification features.  Otherwise, interests in this new OS will drop.  Early adopters will be disappointed.  And we all know what will happen if early adopters are not happy with a new product.

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.