Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Site News / OFF-TOPIC: Going for a new Camera - but which one? Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Last week we had the photokina, the world's leading trade fair for the photographic and imaging sector and a meeting place for professional photographers and photography enthusiasts from all over the world here in Germany and some pretty interesting digital cameras was announced. Because I have to make a lot of pictures for PPCW.Net, mostly in the Macro distance and also I want to improve the picture quality in general, I've decided to go for a new camera.

Some requirements are more than 2 megapixles, CF card for picture storing, short videos would be nice too... And for sure a "brilliant" optical zoom (not this digital stuff only) plus a good Macro for detailed hardware pictures.
So I've decided to give this two models a closer look: the brand new Canon PowerShot G3 and maybe the Nikon COOLPIX 5000.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

C.H. Teo

I'm too lazy to register

both of them has their own pros and cons and targets prosumer market, but all in all, most nikon cameras (even digital) are able to churn out better colour quality compared to nikon.

i've always preferred nikon for its compactness and feature and it's well-known for it's macro capbility too.

maybe you want to check out www.dpreview.com if you haven't done so smile

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Adamz

I'm too lazy to register

Yeah, dpreview.com is a great site!  I have the CoolPix 5000 and use it alot.  It's not a great point-and-shoot camera, but it has alot of great manual controls.  The lens is quite slow though.  The PowerShot G3 was out of the question for me since it just looks cheap.. even though I know it does have alot of great quality features.  You might also look at the Nikon CP 5700.  It's a step up from the 5000 and has a much more powerful optical zoom, not to mention REAL quality Nikon glass in the lenses, which the previous CoolPix models did not have.  On the other hand, the CP5700 has a smaller flip out screen, and it's much less pocketable than the 5000.  The Nikon CoolPix cameras do have excellent Macro capabilities though!

Anonymous

I'm too lazy to register

If I remember right from the WDA review Arne, a guy called 'Schwarzi' blamed you for the picture quality and told you to help you on getting a new camera. I think he mentioned the Coolpix - right? So any help from him there? /Nick

ppcsurfr

I'm too lazy to register

I'll go for the Coolpix 5000.

Here are the good points.

1. you can get the vertical grip that will allow you to use 6 AA sized Ni-Mh or Alkaline batteries.

2. use lens attachments from fisheye, 19mm equiv., 2x converter, 3x converter, and slide copier.

3. fairly good shutter lag... nearing that of a basic SLR camera.

4. F5, F-100, F-80 style controls, 5 point focusing etc.

If you decide on the slightly pricier Coolpix 5700, it adds RAW TIFF to its recording format.  I don't like the zoom range though of 35mm-280mm equiv.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Wow, thanks a lot guys for your great input!
I have to sleep about what to choose finally but all your information and links helped a lot!

@Anonymous: Yes you are right with Schwartzi but he never came back to me... :-(
@C.H. Teo : Thanks for the link! Haven't seen it before but gave me some good information too! Great site...

If anyone else has any additional input, everything is highly welcome!

Cheers and thanks again ~ Arne

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Adamz

I'm too lazy to register

ppcsurfr> The Coolpix 5000 DOES have RAW file format support if you get the 1.7 Firmware upgrade!  This new firmware actually adds alot of features including support for Nikon Capture PTP and mass storage.  So you can use the CP5000 through the USB cable (with extra software).. controlling it from a laptop/desktop computer, and letting the images save directly to the hard disk through the USB.  The CP5700 has this as well.  The v1.7 Firmware adds alot of the CP5700 features to the CP5000, including a quick response shutter release, better autofocus, more monitor display options (have it only turn on for review, or keep it off), and you can shut off the internal flash completely!  I've got the 19mm lens, and it's excellent!

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Friends!
As you seem to know the digital cameras well, specially the Coolpix 5000, I wonder if you can help me on this question:
Does anyone of you know if the Coolpix would also support the Macro Flash like the Canon does:

I've found the same Macro Flashes on the Nikon site

but without any explanation which models/lenses are supported. I think this kind of flash would be a great enhancement for detailed macro pictures. Any thoughts here?
Thanks and cheers ~ Arne

Cheers ~ Arne

Adamz

I'm too lazy to register

Yeah, I noticed there wasn't a native macro flash attachment for the CP5000 too.  The CP5000 has a 46mm thread.  There's an adapter ring that brings that thread away from the telescoping lens so that you can use the 19mm lens attachment with the zoom.  If there's a ring adapter from 46mm to whatever is on that macro flash, then that would work.  There's also a ring adapter from 46mm to 28mm so you can use older CoolPix accessories. 

Ah, look on this page for the Nikon 5000:
http://www.2filter.com/prices/products/digitubes.html
  - There's a 46mm to 52mm ring adapter.  And a 52mm thread is the same as a few of those Micro-Nikkor lenses, meaning the Macro flash should be able to attach to a 52mm thread (though it doesn't seem to say anywhere). 
    If worse comes to worst, you just hold it in front of the lens with your hand, while the rest of it is attached to the hotshoe.  smile 
    If you're worried about it working with the Flash hotshoe on the CP5000, I'm sure it will.  I have some older Nikon Speedlights, and they work great with the CP5000.  However, the CP5000 does not support through the lense (TTL) flash exposures.  And it also does not support the autofocus assist lamp, which projects red lines onto the subject in low-light conditions in order to help the camera focus.  So this means you might have to resort to some manual tweaking to get proper exposures.  But I think I said before, the CP5000 is not a great fully-automatic camera.

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.