Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Thoughts / THOUGHT: Will i-Mode do it better than WAP or where are the differences? Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

One of the hypes I saw on CeBIT was for sure the i-Mode presentation from E-Plus. Yes, I saw many people scrolling on the mobile phones, surfing the wireless web and had fun. So will i-Mode hold the promise, WAP wasn't able to hold?

Hey, just wait a minute... What is i-Mode and its key success factors (at least in Japan but maybe also in Germany/Europe) and why I still believe in WAP.
First of all i-Mode is color and that's the nice and most important part of it. i-Mode can display animated GIFs, also not bad. I-Mode is able to provides tones, that's great. WAP was (until the launch of the Ericsson T68) at least on mobile phone displayed on a green/black display, that's boring. WAP was able to format texts including tables but most handset vendors didn't supported it. WAP was slow and inconvenient as it was launched to late/early (to late because SMS as the bearer services might be the better decision than CSD and GPRS wasn't available. CSD was the worst decision!).WAP was secure but who the hell needs WTLS Class 1 - 3 while a standard SSL connectivity would be enough for the regular consumer services? WAP was completely wrong defined by the WAP Forum and didn't found its role at the operators.
Where was the faults and not and who is responsible for the faults?

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Dick Gerbrands

I'm too lazy to register

I don't agree with you about the mistakes made by the WAP forum. WAP has been positioned by the Forum as a technology to open the web for devices with small screens and a relative low speed access.
Unfortunately the press, advertising companies, translated this into mobile web browsing and we all know you can't compare speed and screen quality. Still the idea was put into peoples minds that there was something to be expected like webrowsing on a PC. Off course was this a great disappointment and that same press killed WAP immediately.
I think the WAP forum has done its utmost to fight this situation, but only now people start to see the real goodies of WAP (again) and please also remember that the decission to support color is not made by the WAP Forum but by handset manufacturers

/Dick

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Dick! Thanks for your input as I know that you know what you are talking about! However, I see it a little bit different.

>I don't agree with you about the mistakes made
>by the WAP forum. WAP has been positioned by
>the Forum as a technology to open the web for
>devices with small screens and a relative low
>speed access.

Yes, on that point I fully agree with you! This was the intention and it was/still is a good one!

>Unfortunately the press, advertising companies,
>translated this into mobile web browsing and we
>all know you can't compare speed and screen
>quality. Still the idea was put into peoples
>minds that there was something to be expected
>like webrowsing on a PC. Off course was this a
>great disappointment and that same press killed
>WAP immediately.

Well, wasn’t it the WAP Forum which always compared the success of WAP with the success of Web? I remember the all time favourite slide where the WAP Forum explained how fast its available pages was growing compared to the very beginning of the Web. And also Scott Goldman’s performance was always about the Internet usage on the mobile phone.
I had many discussions about the term Internet, the point is – and that was missed by the WAP Forum – that, for the market and press, Internet is equal Web. You and I know Internet is Web, Mail, FTP, Gopher and even WAP.
And don’t forget that in the beginning, when WAP was a hype – also by the press – nobody in the WAP industry stands up and said “Guys – we are talking about the Internet on a mobile phone, not about Web on a mobile phone”.

>I think the WAP forum has done its utmost to
>fight this situation, but only now people start
>to see the

If I see the Marketing stream of all WAP Forum meetings it was about how to position the WAP Forum within its members, it was a kind of fight against the GSM Association and ETSI! It was never a kind of marketing support for the members how to bring the WAP message to the folks. The WAP Forum never delivered tools for the operators to support them in developing benefits to sell.

>real goodies of WAP (again) and please also
>remember that the decission to support color is
>not made by the WAP Forum but by handset
>manufacturers

It is the decision of the WAP Forum as the colour wml tags (incl. accepted image formats) have to be/should defined by the Forum. When I tried the EzWAP browser with GIF and JPG format first time on the Gateway I was responsible for, this MIME type wasn’t supported. Unfortunately it was fully WAP 1.1 compliant. If I’m a manufacture and want to get the WAP Forum approval, I have to be conform on the WAP Standards, defined by the Forum. For sure CMG could support JPGS only and Nokia GIFs. But what would happens if I tried to access WAP sites through this gateways with a Siemens phone where the Openwave browser would support PNGs only? It would be a big bullshit for the customer. The same could happen with colour tags for backgrounds, tables, fonts, etc…
This has to be defined by the Forum, not by the handset manufactures as this guys have to work with the Gateway vendors and they should have the same understanding of the specs – in that case supported tags and MIME types.

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.