Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / REVIEW: Audiovox RTM-8000 GSM/GPRS CF Card Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

The Audiovox RTM-8000 is the first available triple band GSM/GPRS card in CF card size and therefore interesting for
all Pocket PC users as it fits into most Pocket PC 2002s.
Technically the card supports everything you would expect: so it supports voice calls as well as CSD data calls plus GPRS connections. Because it works as a triple band GSM card, it can be used all over the world, doesn't matter which
country.

Like with other GSM cards the Pocket PC can not be used for voice calls directly because the voice isn't transferred to the device. This means that you are forced to use a headset unlike with Pocket PC Phone Edition devices. This is for
sure a disadvantage and might makes the card more interesting for data than for voice. However, unlike pure wireless cards you could do it if you want and in that case it works perfect.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

David

I'm too lazy to register

Do you know if Audiovox is releasing any updates this year.

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

learnyee

I'm too lazy to register

I used this card with my iPaq 3850 with a dual PCMCIA jacket. As the main + supplementary are fully charged, connected to my local cellular GPRS network, with PocketPC ICQ and the screen in off mode, I have tried successfully stay online for at least 12 hours before the main unit shut down completely.
With the screen on + ICQ-ing, it drains about 15% per hour for the main battery.

Nick

I'm too lazy to register

Compared to Pretec CF GSM/GPRS, which one is better?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Nick: Well, this is a good question. I only saw the Pretec in the past but never had a chance to use it, so I don't know how it will works (still try to get a test sample too).

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@David: What kind of update do you mean?

Cheers ~ Arne

nick

I'm too lazy to register

@Arne: Pretec GSM/GPRS CF comes with an external battery. It is quite bulky but I do believe that it will be more practical especially for mobile users who need an always connected GPRS connection.

Anonymous

I'm too lazy to register

I posted this on another article for this product but I guess this one is getting more play;

OK, so now we have a certain population of users of this card. I have an HP Jornada 568 that I purchased (very cheaply) about 2 months ago. I could sell it on ebay and easily get more than I paid for it.

The question is, for those of you who are using this card which would you recommend:

1. Purchasing this card and using it with my Jornada as my cell phone.
2. Purchase this card for internet but keep my main cell phone.
3. Sell my Jornada and purchase the T-Mobile all in one pocketpc phone that's available.

Thanks,
Matt

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@nick: Yes, I know how it will looks and with which features it should come (see also my photos from CeBIT here).

However, before I can say which one is better I want to compare it. Everything else wouldn't be serious.

@Matt: Well, as I wrote in my review - the RTM-8000 supports voice for sure. However, it's data centric and even if it works for voice calls it can't replace a cell phone. If you are looking for a Pocket PC based solution which gives you good voice capabilities too, you should better buy a Pocket PC Phone Edition. Doesn't matter which GSM PC/CF card you are using, it's always an add-on only while the PPC PE is an integrated device and designed to support voice eve without a headset. However, if you are talking about using this device for mostly voice only, I would recommend a Smartphone 2002 because this is more voice centric:
Pocket PC Phone Edition = Data centric with good Voice support

Smartphone 2002 = Voice centric with good Data support
Cheers ~ Arne

Cheers ~ Arne

Emizsa

I'm too lazy to register

I have tried the card for some time togehter with the Toshiba e740 with builtin wlan, but I cant get tho voice to work... I believe its hardware problem (headset) is this any problem you have encountered?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Emizsa: You are right, it seems to be a hardware problem with your card or headset. I don't have this kind of problems with my card, there everything works fine!

Cheers ~ Arne

Matty

I'm too lazy to register

Arne is, as usual, the man....

for a while, i tried out the t-mobile sidekick. nice data machine, i must say... this thing doesn't sync with Outlook and that was the biggest bummer... i love PPC 2002, but the always on "push" e-mail was great and fast with the unlimited nationwide GPRS plan i got... voice was TERRIBLE in quality. end of story. now i am back to my Fujitsu Pocket Loox... if only it was "always on" with push e-mail... ooooh - the Audiovox......  here's my question.... BATTERY CONSUMPTION.... can you keep this card in your PPC all day long or for a couple of days?? Which one is better on the battery life? Are there other GPRS cf cards out there? If only the Nokia 9290 was gprs enabled my life would be perfect smile. It just doesn't seem that, until the p800 is available in the US, that anything will do what we all need --- instant e-mail, color screen, good phone integration, nice web browser.... at least let me get rid of my AOL Mbile Communicator! man!  -matty

Kevin

I'm too lazy to register

I'm on AT&T,  If I plug this into my compaq 3835,  how do I configure it.  Do I use the sim from my phone?  Am I then charged at the kbyte charge of AT&T?  Sure seems better than using the IR between 3835 and my Siemens S46.

Thanks,  Kevin

Charlie

I'm too lazy to register

I have used the Audiovox RTM-8000 for a few months. I agree with Arne's comments, but I tried the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone Edition and it just does not cut it as a complete replacement for a ppc. The lack of a CF slot or any expansion possibility is the kiss of death for me.
Back to the Audiovox, I echo the sentiment that any CF or PC Card solution thus far is not a viable primary voice instrument. The only solution that works well for me is the Compaq gsm/gprs sleeve. I have heard that it is discontinued and I heard that it will arise from the ashes, so we will have to waut and see. Of course, once HP integrates GSM/GPRS into an Ipaq and designs it such that it will have the requisite battery life to use as a voice phone every day, that will be the best way to go. I for one eagerly await this.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Kevin: You have to configure this card with the same settings you are using with your S46. You also need a SIM card, doesn't matter if this is the one from your cell phone or a new one but for sure it have to be GPRS enabled.
Regarding the charges: yes, you will charged per byte by AT&T's GPRS service.
If this is better than IrDA I don't know but it's an option. However, it's not a replacement for your voice centric cell phone if you need to make voice calls also!

Cheers ~ Arne

Pages: 1 2 3 … 8
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.