Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Windows Mobile Tips & Tutorials / HOW TO: Remote Display your Smartphone on your Desktop PC Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

I love to use remote display applications to configure my Pocket PCs using my Desktop PC keyboard. This is even more convenient than doing it directly on the device, for instance if you enter your E-Mail account or configure other settings like your MMS client, etc.On the Pocket PC I'm using Soti's Pocket Controller since it gives me the most convenient access and mostly all Pocket PC screenshots and screen videos/animations on PPCW.Net are done with Pocket Controller.
Unfortunately right now Soti doesn't have a Smartphone version available but thankfully some ARM based Pocket PC applications works also on Smartphones, even if the screen resolution isn't optimized.
Since the launch of Pocket PC in April 2000, Microsoft has an internal Remote Display application available which was published later on PocketPC.com for public download too and this works (thanks to its pretty basic functions) even on a Smartphone.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Leigh Geary

I'm too lazy to register

You may have to grab the excellent Task Manager for the SmartPhone to quit the remote display client - either that or reboot your phone, as it continues to run and slows the phone even after you've finished with it. sad

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Leigh Geary: Yes, that's a good point I've realized (to late - sorry) when I finished the "how to" and tried to close it... ;-)
Thanks for your additional input regarding this!

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

jpzr

I'm too lazy to register

cool, but it does not work on regular not-unlocked phone.

please note also that similar thing you can achieve with embedded visual C++ 3.0 that enables remote control of the smartphone...

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@jpzr: Yes, that's the down-side of all that kind of hacks. However, because Orange is not the only carrier with Smartphones in its portfolio (if you think about Smart or T-Mobile) and we  might even see non-carrier related Smartphones like the red e/Compal device I will continue to write about what is possible with Microsoft's Smartphone platform in general.
Also I'm a Microsoft MVP, not an Orange MVP which means for me I have to support their product - how it was designed originally - not how carriers modified it.

Regarding your C++ 3.0 advice: yes, that's correct. However I don't think to many "just users" have the C++ version on their PC and their is no need for it, if you just want to remote control your Smartphone.

Cheers ~ Arne

jpzr

I'm too lazy to register

no, no! don't take it so that I say "don't write about not-Orange stuff"

PLEASE WRITE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT CELL PHONES powered by MS software. This topic is to me 1000000 times more interesting than Bluetooth or Wi-Fi !

so write ANYTHING about cell phones powered by MS Software!!! I love it.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Don't worry, I didn't took it so. And yes, I will write about everything which comes to my mind. PPCW.Net is a general "Windows CE(.Net)/3GSM" site and therefore I will write about everything which comes to my mind and is either wireless related or helps to get more out of the (possible) wireless (connected) Pocket PC and Smartphone. However, this includes also Bluetooth AND Wi-Fi as the PPCW.Net claim tells: "Where Pocket PC meets Wireless".
Sure I will NOT cover Smartphones ONLY. ;-)

Cheers ~ Arne

SOTI

I'm too lazy to register

We (SOTI) actually did consider porting Pocket Controller to the Smartphone but because Microsoft advised us that most carriers would be locking down the Smartphones like Orange has, we backed off the idea. But we are now re-thinking the idea and may put out a version soon with Smartphone support. There are even some problems on non-locked down phones due to the security infrastructure.

I have not tried the Microosft remote  control software on the Smartphone, and currently do not have access to a Smartphoe to try it out. Can you use it with the ActiveSync passthru disabled or does this have to be enabled for this to work?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@SOTI: I'm waiting for such a long time for "Smartphone Pocket Controller" support, yes - please rethink it! ;-)

Yes, it even works with PassThrough disabled, no problem. It's just easy doing as described above!

Cheers ~ Arne

Simona

I'm too lazy to register

Hey - have I missed something here?  My phone is "normal" (ie: I am not clever enough to have messed around with the factory settings).  Clearly normal means that it is not certification unlocked and so I can't install the remote display client on my SmartPhone.  Does this mean that I can't use the Remote Display application, end of story?  Or can I unlock the certification? Or is there a different program I can use?

Nechbi

I'm too lazy to register

I installed the software on my SPV E100 but accidently pressed another key on the HostName (PPP_PEER) screen.  I appear to be unable to delete the charater??  I have tried uninstalling the software & reinstalling to no avail..

Any Ideas?

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Nechbi: Have you switched off/on you device and tried again? At least for me it works if I "soft reset" the phone.

Cheers ~ Arne

DJC

I'm too lazy to register

I tried this on an application-unlocked SPV e200 (ie smartphone 2003). The phone refuses to install the cab (which I have copied to the phone) stating that the file is not of the right type for this platform. I tried the "ceremote.sa1100.CAB" (strongARM?) and the "xx720" (ARM 720?) CAB files with no success..?

Has anyone else succeeded with smartphone 2003/spv e*200*

LG

I'm too lazy to register

Has anyone gotten a remote display to successfully install on a Compal AR11/Red E SC1100?

HOLLI

I'm too lazy to register

Where do u download RPC?

Cant find it on microsoft home page...I probably sux, but i just CANT find it...can some on give a direct link to it so that even an imbacil like me can find it wink

Pages: 1 2 3
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.