Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / 3G/UMTS - The 3rd Generation Mobile Standard / EDGE experiences? Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

shill79

Anyone have any experience with EDGE via AT&T in the U.S.?  Curious to see how EDGE compares with 1xRTT...

rilpop

I have used EDGE with Verizon Wireless.  Coverage seems good and it is nearly as fast as my wiFi network at home. At $44.99 per month for unlimited browsing, it is still very expensive.  Using anything but an unlimited plan becomes VERY expensive. I would assume AT&T would give a similar experience.

Thomas Chan

Editor in Training

Website

I have T-Mobile USA EDGE.  You get around 50k to 150kbps download speed.  Definitely better than GPRS, which is anywhere from 10k to 50k max.  EDGE is also known as 2.5G.  Cost is about $30 per month with unlimited EDGE data and HotSpot access.  IMO, it's a pretty decent deal.  You can even get the right EDGE card to use this plan with your laptop as well.  However, it is definitely slower than Verizon Broadband Access, which is not EDGE, BTW.  It is true 3G, I believe, with bandwidth of couple hundred Kbps, similar to your DSL bandwidth.  Their monthly cost is of course higher.  The $45 unlimited browsing is only for your PDA.  If you want to use laptop access, it's about $60 per month.  HTH.

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.