Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / GSM - Global System for Mobile Communication / Astronomical charges, can anybody help please? Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Mrs_F

Hi, i am hoping someone can shed some light on a legal standpoint. My husband and I are currently living in Germany, and as we are to be here for a couple of years decided to take out mobile phone contracts. We went into a Saturn and opted for Debitel package of 15 euro a month with 50 free messages, minutes or a mix.

We got the N95 each and took them home, it was about 9pm when we started charging and setting them up. I checked the internet for about 10 mins ,looking at my facebook, before logging off. My phone the next morning would not work, I spent a couple of days calling debitel only to be told that my phone was cut off because I had accrued charges of 100 euro   -  after 10 mins or so???

Anyway I went back to Saturn to be told that No I could not have an itemised bill for at least two weeks and that I had to wait.

I moved my pay as you go sim in and havent touched my contract sim since!

My husband had the same phone and a week later decided to download a poker game for 5 euro. He spent 15 minutes on the internet, and the next morning he found that his phone did not work.

We had a direct debit set up to pay Debitel, but before it came out my husband recieved a call to say that he must pay a bill of 600 euro's. Then I recieved my bill in the post yesterday for a total of 354 euro's. this is after they cut me off telling me that my bill was 100!

We have taken the money out of the bank as we do not have enough in there to pay them and live the month.

When we bought the phones and asked about the tariff the response we got was "oh it's standard" there is no tariff on the contract that we signed and no warning of exceedingly high internet charges.

Now i know we have been incredibly naive in assuming that, like the UK the contracts and charges are pretty standard, but I do not expect to be cut off and told my bill is 100 euro and to have a final (unitemised) bill of 354 and my husband certainly does not deserve a bill of 600 euro's, heaven knows what the actual bill will be when it arrives.

Anyway if anyone can help to shed a light on this for us, as in do we have any standing legally for being mis-sold the phones or tarrifs, or not being told what the charges could be before we left the shop, I would be incredible grateful for any assistance.

Thank you

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

That's shocking... Can you tell us the plan name you have that I can verify it with Debitel's plans what the MB costs?
All I can suggest is to go to a "Verbraucherzentrale" (consumer advice centre) in your area. Have a look into the yellow pages to find the one in your area. They might be able to help you.

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Mrs_F

Hi, yes I even have the (newly sent) itemised bill. Is there a way i can forward it for you to take a look at.

As i say we were given no tariff charges as you would in Carphone warehouse and the like.

Have just got the number of the Verbraucherzentrale so I will give them a call also, thank you. smile

Last edited by Mrs_F (20.06.2008 14:13:40)

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

You can always drop me an E-Mail at arne.hess@theunwired.net but it's enough for me to know the plan name (is either printed on the invoice or on the contract).

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.