Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Reviews / REVIEW: Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Smartphone Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@pierrelp1: Don't know how to measure it but here in Munich I get all the stations I expect to get. Might depend on the area.

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Oddbjørn

I'm too lazy to register

Arne Hess wrote:

The Samsung SGH-i900 Omnia is Samsung's latest Windows Mobile smartphone, featuring a touchscreen. For a Samsung Windows Mobile smartphone, the Omnia is quite unique because so far, Samsung was pretty focused on keyboard-centric Windows Mobile smartphones like the BlackJack/SGH-i600 or SGH-i780 which featured full QWERTY thumb-keyboards; while the i900 Omnia follows the trend to touchscreen centric smartphones. The i900 Omnia runs on Microsoft's Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional platform and features quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE but only singelband UMTS  at 2100 MHz and HSDPA (up to 7.2 Mbps) while HSUPA isn't supported. Furthermore, the SGH-i900 features Bluetooth 2.0+EDR including support of A2DP as well as WiFi b/g, inbuilt GPS and FM radio with RDS support.

[Read More]

Hi...

Thanks for your article about this phone. I will decide later if I should buy this ore some other, like HTC
Just a question: Have you compared this phone against the HTC Diamond?
The two phones looks very much the same, technically....

thanks for your reply

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Carsten

I'm too lazy to register

hi arne
thank you for your review so far, in particular as i am willing to get one of them.

however, i have to further questions:
1) do you expect that samsung will release an update rom supporting windows mobile 7 once it is available? ifrankly, i would be quite disappointed if samsung would try to get windows mobile to push another device into the market.

2) how is your experience with using the omnia and opera as an browsing tool. is it convenient to surf the internet or, unfortunately, more annoying.

thanks for your help
carsten

Ange

I'm too lazy to register

Great review.

One question can you operate the touch screen while wearing gloves (leather or wool)? The reason why I ask is because on an iphone you can't - you need to remove gloves to touch the screen. It would be useful to know if this is also the case with the Omnia so I don't have to remove my gloves on a very cold day just to use my phone. Can someone please test and report back here? Many thanks!

Pachi

I'm too lazy to register

ATTENTIOnS PEeps. If you want a browser with flash 3 and better, get the Skyfire browser for WM5 and 6.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Oddbjørn: Yes, they are quite similar and I've used both. I cannot say which is better. I think they are quite equal.

Carsten: How to know if Samsung will offer an upgrade for "Windows Mobile 7"? It's neither yet announced nor we know which hardware requirements Windows Mobile 7 might has? Maybe requirements change as it happened in the past with Pocket PCs already? Nobody knows yet and Microsoft hasn't unveiled anything so far.
I like Opera Mobile on the Omnia. Works quite good and I use it regularly as you can imagine.

@Ange: You can keep your gloves because the Omnia screen is resistive, not capacitive (please see our interview with Andy Lees,Microsoft Senior Vice President, Mobile Communications Business, here where he mentioned exactly the glove problem as well).

@Pachi: Skyfire is available in the U.S. only. Tried many times to get access to the Beta to review it here but Skyfire wasn't able to give me access. What's a browser worth if it is available in one country only but the::unwired is read worldwide?

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Gordon

I'm too lazy to register

How far down does the finger customisation go?  Does it use the same contacts app as normal? Have any of the standard windows apps been customised for thumb/finger use?  Are we ultimately talking about a 'skin deep' finger experience like SPB and to a lesser extent HTC provide?  Is there the same stylus based windows apps a layer down from the home/launch screen?

Karl

I'm too lazy to register

Microsoft offers updates. Like WM 6.1 or in the future Flash Lite 3.

But who says you get it on your device? That is the biggest problem with MS WM. You can not buy it and install it. You allways need a special Version from your Mobile Device Manufacturer. But most of the time, they are not willing to do so. They want to sell a new device. They do not want to invest in a sold device!

That's the big difference with Apple and the iPhone. They make the hardware and the software. They've been adding new features to the software in the past and will do it in the future (see changelog of the new beta of 2.1). And you can install them on a one year old device and it runs perfect. This is what Steve Jobs said when he introduced it and till now he proofed it.

Don't get me wrong there a many features missing on the iPhone which should be included from the beginging. Thats what makes this device not so good comparing to others.

So who tells you Samsung will deliver an update wiht Flash Lite 3 on the i900 Omnia? ---- Nobody! Hoping is all you can do.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Karl wrote:

Microsoft offers updates. Like WM 6.1 or in the future Flash Lite 3.

And Flash Lite 3 will be an AKU only, which we will see more likely across different devices then seeing ROM upgrades. But anyway:

But who says you get it on your device? That is the biggest problem with MS WM. You can not buy it and install it. You allways need a special Version from your Mobile Device Manufacturer. But most of the time, they are not willing to do so. They want to sell a new device. They do not want to invest in a sold device!

That's not true at all. We have seen many Windows Mobile 5.0 -> Windows Mobile 6.0 as well as some Windows Mobile 6.0 -> Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrades in the past. Even Samsung offered such a ROM upgrade for it's i600. So I'm confident this will continue. And as I initially said, the Flash Lie 3 update is something completely different:

So who tells you Samsung will deliver an update wiht Flash Lite 3 on the i900 Omnia? ---- Nobody! Hoping is all you can do.

It's an AKU for the current Windows Mobile version, not a ROM upgrade. We will not see a Windows Mobile 6.2 or 6.5 but Flash Lite 3 will be available for Windows Mobile 6.1 as an AKU which is, more or less, a service pack which also fixes bugs. So there are even better chances to see it but you are right, nobody knows today. But isn't it the problem with everything you buy? How to know it's "future proofed" .

Cheers ~ Arne

Born

I'm too lazy to register

Great Review!!! Really, Thank You!
Few quick questions:
Does Omnia have bluetooth profiles that allow tethering?
Is the Microsoft Document Viewer just a viewer, or it allows editing?
Have you tried/been successful doing VoIP calls with Omnia?
How easy is it to access the phone file system from a PC/Linux box?

I am trying to decide between getting an iPhone 3G now or waiting a few more months for Omnia to release in US. And the answers to above questions will go a long distance in helping me decide.

PeterC

I'm too lazy to register

Great Review Arne. Question about languages because I saw both German and English in your screen captures. Windows mobile has always been a one language affair depending on where it is sold. Still true with the omnia or has samsung customized touchwiz? The omnia is going onsale here in Germany in August but since I want english I am assuming I will have to wait for the uk, us or buy a singapore omnia off the net.

Karl

I'm too lazy to register

Arne Hess wrote:

We have seen many Windows Mobile 5.0 -> Windows Mobile 6.0 as well as some Windows Mobile 6.0 -> Windows Mobile 6.1 upgrades in the past. Even Samsung offered such a ROM upgrade for it's i600.

Here in Germany there is no such update available for that device...

Jospo

I'm too lazy to register

Hello Arne, great review, thanks for that! I have a question: is it possible to disable Samsung Today Screen (and use the default one from WM6) and still keep using Samsung user interface? I would like to use Today Screen plugins I like, but I don't want to miss the stylus-free user interface.

And additional question: if you have a missed call or message, is there any status LED blinking? Or how do you know if there is any missed event when the device is suspended?

Thanks for your answers!

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

@Born: What do you mean with tethering Bluetooth profiles? Since it's a Windows Mobile smartphone, it supports virtually all kind of Bluetooth profiles from serial to sync/exchange to headset to handsfree to stereo/remote control and more. AFAIK the only not supported Bluetooth profile is printing.
Again, since it's a Windows Mobile Professional smartphone, Word and Excel are not just viewers but can be used to create or edit doc or xls files. PowerPoint and Adobe Reader are viewers only and OneNote can also create notes.
I haven't used it for VoIP but this shouldn't be a problem at all.
If you want to access the inbuilt 8/16 GB from Linux, it shouldn't be a problem since you can change the USB port from sync to USB memory where it acts like a USB memory stick. Sync is always more difficult and I have no Linux/Windows Mobile experience at all.

@PeterC: Yes, you are right, still one language only. I had two Omnias in the past, the first was German and the second I used for the review was English. As you said, most likely only the German version will go on sale here that you have to import the English version from anywhere abroad.

@Karl: Do you mean a Windows Mobile 6 or 6.1 upgrade? We was actually the first site reporting about the Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for the Samsung SGH-i600 back in 2007.
And the free i600 Windows Mobile 6 upgrade is still available from Samsung, until 31st October 2008. Just check it out http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/i600/index.jsp

@Jospo: Yes, the Samsung Today screens are plugins you can enable or disable; you can either use the original Microsoft Today screen plugins or use 3rd party stuff like Spb. This doesn't changes the Samsung menus, they will stay.
Missed calls and received SMS are indicated with an LED which is in the power button on top of the device. The same LED is used to indicate that the device is charing (red)/is charged (green).

Cheers ~ Arne

ziko87

I'm too lazy to register

Could someone tell me when will the official ROM of the Samsung Omnia be available for free downloading ? ? ? Please if somebody knows - write to me z_i_k_o@abv.bg

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.