Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Wireless Coffee House / Performance on GPRS connections Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

cecilial

I'm too lazy to register

It is a question of the overhead when browsing over a GPRS connection. We have measured the actual GPRS speed at connection to be approx 30 kbps. That would correspond to downloading 3-4 kB in a second. But a web page of that size takes about 10-20 seconds to display when browsing using the PIE!?! I am aware of the http header and the encryption, but this is a huge difference, and unbearable to wait for when browsing. Does anyone have any references or something of what the PIE, the iPaq and the GPRS adds as overhead when browsing? It would be very helpful.

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

10 - 20 seconds? That's to long! Seems as there is anything wrong on the GPRS network you are using, I'm surfing the web also between 25 - 38 kbps and the sites appears faster on the Pocket PC...
Which network are you using?

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

cecilial

I'm too lazy to register

I am using Sonofon (danish mobile network carrier) and they serve 24-32 kpbs.

Could it have anything to do with the device (iPaq 3660) or the PIE? How much of the network speed should I expect to be able to use "directly" when surfing on the PIE browser? Is there any known overhead? Sonofon tells me that they have better experience when downloading from the internet (not browsing).

Are there any ways to test the actual speed?

Thanks

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Yes for sure there is the typical HTTP overhead (one reason why W@P was established to reduce this HTTP overhead too) but there is nothing known on the dvice...
You can check your actual GPRS speed online with this site:

http://www.markab.it/meter/html/login_eng.asp and tap "Fast Access"

This gives you a snapshot how fast PIE access the site.

Cheers ~ Arne

Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

cecilial

I'm too lazy to register

The connection seems to be in order (26-34 Kbps), but it seems to be latency on the GPrS network when browsing that is the problem. Are there any numbers for how much to expect in  this area.

When connecting with a laptop I can follow the traffic, which is really slow in the beginning and then very fast in the end when page is rendered.

Thanks

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

You cached it. Latency is the problem! I've spoke with Nortel some time ago and this guy told me that the problem is the latency within the GPRS devices as well as in the network.
Also I spoke with several network operators and they also told me, like Nortel, that they don't believe in multi-user real-time games through GPRS because this issue.
BTW: Nobody can say today if this would be fixed in 3G networks... Could be that we will not see multi-user real-time games even with 3G!

Cheers ~ Arne

cecilial

I'm too lazy to register

Is there anything that can be done about this? Any alternatives? We are currently building a B2B website that will use on-line browsing alone. Are any devices better than others, difference between operators, perhaps use GSM instead of GPRS?

I saw mention that I can increase
the TCP Buffer size for some browsers.  Is this something that is
supported on the PPC?  What about for a 2002 device? 

If this problem can't be reduced, our application needs to be rebuilt for synchronization, which is tedious and a less good user experience.
How much "always on-line" is a GPRS network, if all it's good for is synchronization...?

Thanks again

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Is there anything that can be done about this? Any alternatives? We are currently building a B2B website that will use on-line browsing alone. Are any devices better than others, difference between operators, perhaps use GSM instead of GPRS?

GSM/HSCSD has shorter round-trip delays, that's true! However it's not a problem of any devices but of GPRS in general! :-(

I saw mention that I can increase the TCP Buffer size for some browsers.  Is this something that is
supported on the PPC?  What about for a 2002 device?

Could helps, maybe you should give Tweaks2k2 v0.4 a look to increase the buffer size.

If this problem can't be reduced, our application needs to be rebuilt for synchronization, which is tedious and a less good user experience. How much "always on-line" is a GPRS network, if all it's good for is synchronization...?

Hmmm... I don't know exactly how your GPRS connection works but as you describe it, it sounds lousy and I've not seen such a bad user experience before! Maybe you should try another GPRS network operator too first before your opinion about GPRS goes completely down... ;-)
I'm using GPRS every day and even streaming is possible as Beth from Microsoft demonstrated on the German User Group Tour with my SIM cards. So try another network first, maybe also one in Germany - just for comparison!

Cheers ~ Arne

cecilial

I'm too lazy to register

Thanks for info. I have tried with different operators in Denmark and Sweden! But with basically the same results. I have heard though that the German operators are better in this area - so then my question is: what is it that they do, that the Danish don't?? We are cooperating with the operators here, so if I knew what to ask for in their network I would have a better chance?

Any input?

Thanks

Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.