Subscribe to the::unwired's RSS Feedthe::unwired at Twitterthe::unwired at Facebookthe::unwired on Google Plus
Top Stories
the::unwired forum
You are not logged in.
You are here: the::unwired - forum / Thoughts / THOUGHT: Why the Android-based Nokia Normandy aka Nokia Asha X makes a lot of Sense for Nokia and Microsoft Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

In the recent weeks and months, we heard many rumors that Nokia worked on an Android-based smartphone which was code-named "Normandy" and after sources said that this project was nixed after Microsoft announced the take-over of Nokia, The Wall Street Journal said yesterday that the Nokia Asha X, as it is called now, will be definitely unveiled during this month's Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. This rose some concerns if it makes sense for both - Microsoft and Nokia - and I say yes, it makes a lot of sense. If you see the operating system less emotional, it's just a vehicle. In the early smartphone days, Windows Mobile was a vehicle for Microsoft to sell its business proposition to corporate users. And today, the mobile OS is a vehicle to sell apps, and even more important, services to consumers and prosumers.

[Read More]

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Symbian User

I'm too lazy to register

The first good and by now best analysis of the situation. You hit the nail and there's nothing to add. A must read. Thanks Arne, more of this. I miss your analysis and comments.

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.

Arne Hess

Editor in Chief

Website

Thanks for the kind words, appreciated!

Cheers ~ Arne

Founder & Editor in Chief the::unwired
Follow Arne Hess or the::unwired on Twitter - Become a Fan of the::unwired on Facebook

Rafe

I'm too lazy to register

It makes sense to me too. I do think there is a challenge in explaining this to analysts and particularly the media who don't seem to be able to be entirely level headed about it. Everyone just sees Android and goes nuts. An interesting mental exercise is the imagine what the reaction would be if Android was replaced with another OS (i.e. Nokia upgrading Series 40). Of course it does raise interesting questions, but I agree absolutely the value is now in the service layer, the rest is almost a given / price of entry.

The advantage to me is partly about apps (dalvik compatibility), but also the ability to work on the back of existing hardware integration works (drivers and cheap silicon). I think the latter may actually be more important that the former.

There is an interesting discussion to be had around why Windows Phone can't go so cheap... then again you could talk about the quality of a lot of low cost Android stuff versus a potential Asha on ASOP and what makes the most sense from a consumer view point (and that consumer view point is nothing like most of the people writing about this topic).

This posting was contributed by a unregistered visitor of the::unwired Forum!
the::unwired isn't responsible for any contributions.
Pages: 1
Topic closed! This topic automatically closed 30 days after first posting.
© Copyright 1998 - 2013 by the::unwired® & Arne Hess
All rights reserved!
the::unwired is a registered trademark of Arne Hess.
All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.
All site video, graphic and text content is copyrighted to the respective party and may not be reproduced without express written consent.