Two months ago I wrote in my column "THOUGHT: Why - oh why - isn't SDIO supported on the xda and..." about my thoughts not to have SDIO compliant Pocket PCs available today:
"However, now the next fine SD sized accessory becomes available soon and again it doesn't include any Pocket PC support. :-(
It's the Veo Photo Traveler for Palm - a SD camera which will be released within the next two - three weeks and should costs US$ 99.99 only"
John commented it that time with the following knowledge: "The xda can support SDIO devices as long as they convert to Data SD on the chip. Camera and GPS devices already exist for the xda. Bluetooth SD cards will follow as soon as the Bluetooth manufactures see enough volumes to include the extra chip."
It seems that my dreams come true because Pocket PC Thoughts reported now about the first SD Camera which works - according to "expansys.com" - also with Pocket PCs:
Spectec SD Camera for PPC and Palm
Superb SD camera that works in Pocket PC and Palm OS devices - the drivers are already installed on the card.
- Image sensor: 300K pixels, color; Resolution: Up to 640 x 480; Preview Mode: Support 160 x 120, 128 x 96, 80 x 60, Format : RGB 16-bit & BW 4-bit; Still Capture Mode: Support 640 x 480, 320 x 240, 160 x 120, Format : JPEG in YUV 4:2:2; Picture Transfer: Through SDIO (SPI 1-bit mode); Frame Rate: 7-20 frames per second @ 160 x 120; Exposure/White Balance / Color adjustment: Automatically and Manually
- Viewfinder: PDA on screen 160 x 120 16-bit color; Picture Number (per M byte), pictures @640 x 480 (TBD), pictures @320 x 240 (TBD), pictures @160 x 120 (TBD); Recording time (per M byte) seconds @160 x 120 (TBD)
- Image Transfer: Direct Beam to Palm OS Device; Palm Application Software: Image Address Book and Photo Take
- OS support: Palm OS 4.0 and, 5.0, Pocket PC, and Smartphone
- Optical : Adjustable Focus - F no.2.8, 4.5mm focal length; View Angle: 54 degree; Focus Range: 20cm to infinity
According to expansys.com the card is available for preorder for Â£ 72.47. Wow, if this is true and the card doesn't need SDIO compliant card slots, this would be the ultimate killer accessory for the xda as it would truly enables MMS on it.
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information] [Original Source]