Option N.V. today announced the GlobeTrotter EDGE the latest addition to its comprehensive range of wireless data cards. The GlobeTrotter EDGE, which delivers connection speeds up to four times faster than on GPRS networks, will be commercially available as of next month. Option will commence shipping volumes of the GlobeTrotter EDGE product in accordance with the commercial roll-out plans by different network operators.
Jan Callewaert, CEO at Option: "Whatever strategic choice network operators make regarding wireless data communication standards, 3G or EDGE, we shall provide our customers with the highest quality and most comprehensive range of wireless data solutions available. In this way we continue to deliver the best business value to our customers. The GlobeTrotter EDGE is a perfect fit for those operators that have no Wi-Fi strategy or have decided not to deploy 3G networks in their territories. For network operators that have a 3G network deployed, but with an underlying EDGE service, this new data card can be positioned as an entry level product at a competitive price."
- Quad band E-GPRS/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz for use on networks worldwide including the PCS networks in the USA
- GlobeTrotter PC Card format (Extended Type II PCMCIA compliant and CardBus PC Card interface) with patented retractable antenna design
- Supports IPSec client software for end-to-end secure corporate data exchange and synchronisation over VPN
Future proof through user upgradeable Flash Memory technology 2
- Compatible with nearly all popular notebook PCÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s equipped with PCMCIA slot and Microsoft Windows Operating System
- GlobeTrotter EDGE support for MAC O/S and Linux on request
- Includes GlobeTrotter Mobility Manager
- GlobeTrotter EDGE fully supports MicrosoftÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s PC Smart Card standard and includes EAP-SIM extensions for user transparent and automatic authentication to third party networks
- GlobeTrotter EDGE is customisable for mobile network operators and IT manufacturers
EDGE - Enhanced Data for Global Evolution (E-GPRS) - is the technology that gives GPRS networks the capacity to provide data services similar to the third generation of mobile telephony. By deploying E-GPRS as an overlay within an existing GPRS network operators can provide four times the data capacity of GPRS per subscriber.
This in most cases can be achieved as a software upgrade to the existing network infrastructure whilst leaving existing base stations and cell sites intact. The GlobeTrotter EDGE enables connection to the Internet at data speeds of up to 236.8 kbps on an EDGE network. Where EDGE services are not available the data card still enables reliable and secure data connections over traditional GPRS.
The Option GlobeTrotter EDGE card will be available from next month, a price wasn't given yet.
Cheers ~ Arne