appubator, inc. Suggests Users Think Twice Before Participating in Microsoft's 'App' Contest
This week, Microsoft announced a contest called "Hey Windows Phone, I Need This App". This contest offers a $5,000 prize to the person who's idea for a new Windows Phone application receives the most votes from the general public.
We at appubator, inc. want to suggest that people think twice before participating in this contest. While a $5,000 prize sounds attractive, there are many drawbacks to your participation.
1) Your great idea for a new smartphone app is no longer yours and out in the open for people to copy.
2) Microsoft is only commiting to develop one mobile app from the hundreds or thousands submitted.
3) No matter how successful your idea is, you will not participate in the revenue that your app provides above the $5,000 prize.
4) Your idea is limited to a single smartphone platform. More than 80% of US smartphone users are on other devices than Windows Phone and you're now missing the opportunity to make money from an app idea for those platforms.
We'd like to suggest instead that you visit our website at appubator.com. Unlike the Windows Phone contest:
1) appubator allows you to keep control of your 'app ideas' by keeping them confidential. Just register at www.appubator.com and securely submit your idea to our evaluation team where it remains yours regardless if it is accepted for development.
2) appubator will develop as many apps as there are commercially viable ideas submitted. With appubator, we develop a significant % of the apps that are submitted (not just one as MS suggests in their contest). We've had over 300 submissions so far and have 35 apps under contract / development.
3) While appubator cannot pay $5,000 upfront to one lucky winner, we fund 100% of the app's development and sign a contract that gives each submitter 30% of future revenues.
4) We look to release apps based on approved ideas for all major smartphone platforms in addtion to Windows Phone. This increases the chances for the app to succeed and generate more money for you.
The Microsoft contest is certainly fun and a great way to see your name in lights.
On the other hand, if you'd prefer to have more control of how your ideas are used and want to make real money from the exploiding economy around mobile software and smartphones, be sure to come and visit apppubator at www.appubator.com.