If you have started your Opera Beta 2 web browser today, you might have noticed that it expired, as said in the start screen. Shouldn't be a problem at all because today Opera released Opera Mobile 8.6 for Windows Mobile. Opera Mobile 8.6 for Pocket PC takes full advantage of the larger screen and higher resolution of Pocket PC devices by offering tabbed browsing and surfing in horizontal landscape mode. The browser is based on Opera's newest core code and runs on Windows Mobile 5 and 2003 SE.
The development of the Opera browser for Windows Mobile is a result of market demand from mobile phone operators and end-users. Today's release follows the beta preview of Opera Mobile for Pocket PC announced on January 18, 2006, and promises to deliver a superior Web surfing experience on Pocket PC devices. The first operators to ship Windows Mobile devices with Opera Mobile pre-installed are T-Mobile through their Web'n'Walk offering, and the leading Japanese operator, Willcom.
"Pocket PC owners are typically advanced users who expect the best and
actively seek out better software for their devices," says Roger Carlhammar,
EVP Mobile, Opera Software. "Opera's mission is to provide the best Internet
experience on any device, and we are very happy to now offer this on Windows
Mobile Pocket PCs."
Features in Opera Mobile 8.6 for Pocket PC include
- Tabs: Open multiple Web pages at the same time, and switch between them
using the tabbed interface.
- Landscape/Portrait Mode: Opera Mobile adapts Web pages to fit the width
of the screen in both landscape and portrait modes.
- Web address auto-complete: The browser remembers your typed-in
- Zoom: Magnify text and images in Web pages for better accessibility.
- Download: Get any files and content from the Web, including ringtones
- Full screen: View Web pages with the browser interface, or in full
- Fit-to-screen: Browse Web pages in full size or with Opera's
Small-Screen Rendering to avoid horizontal scrolling.
- Pop-up handler: Block unwanted pop-ups
- Pad-lock icon on secure sites: The browser can identify trusted sites to
avoid scams and phishing attempts
Opera Mobile for Windows Mobile Pocket PC is available from www.opera.com/mobile
and comes with a free 30-day trial. The browser runs on both Windows Mobile
5 and 2003 SE. The full version costs 19 Euro.
Also today, Opera announced that a Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone version
will be released soon as well. So far, the Smartphone version of Opera
Mobile was designed for Windows Mobile 2003 Smartphones only.
Cheers ~ Arne