One of the co-founders of the extremely successful Kickstarter financed smartwatch Omate TrueSmart smartwatch has something new for us which is said to "revolutionize the music world" with the first WiFi music system for every phone, speaker and everyone! There are countless Bluetooth speakers in the market as well as some well established wireless multi-room music systems like Sonos; however the futuristic and extremely affordable Rocki is going a slightly different way. Instead of building another WiFi speaker system, Rocki is said to transform every existing speaker into a WiFi music system, whether it is old or new. The Rocki Play is a clever little device that simply plugs into the audio input of any speaker system.
This is immediately transforming it into a WiFi enabled speaker, ready to rock your music wirelessly from every phone. In addition to the piece of hardware, there's also the free Rocki app which allows to search and select any song, control volume and playback and play the music to any Rocki enabled speakers. The app is said to be available for Android, iOS and as an HTML5 edition for Windows Phone, Sailfish OS, Ubuntu and more. The HTML5 edition is said to also enable PCs running Windows, Mac or Linux to enjoy the Rocki possibilities via any web browser.
- Multi-Speakers - You can have many Rocki Play + Speakers in your home, e.g. one in your living room, another in your kitchen and the next in your bedroom. Rocki Play is very affordable and doesn't discriminate between speakers. So you could have a high end sound system in your living room, a mid range all-in-one speaker set in your bedroom, waterproof speakers in your bathroom and a cheap old set you dug out of your garage. For each of these speakers just plug in a Rocki Play and they will all become part of your Rocki WiFi Music System! Simply control and enjoy music right from your phone.
- Multi-Room - Because it's WiFi (instead of Bluetooth), the Rocki WiFi System is not limited by walls and can bridge much larger distances than Bluetooth. You can use WiFi extenders to reach even further for large buildings. With the extensive use of WiFi on phones/tablets, Rocki will simply work using your existing WiFi.
- Multi-user - Family and friends can simply play and control music from their own phones too. Of course you can set permissions to allow it or not.
Rocki is said to support existing protocols including UPnP, allowing to easily integrate it into an existing WiFi music network. It nevertheless comes with a proprietary Rocki API which is said to add a layer that's designed with user-friendly multi-room music in mind. Catering for both the experienced as well as the regular consumer.
Technical Specifications of Rocki Play
- W-LAN: WiFi b/g/n (Access Point / Hotspot mode supported)
- Music Formats Supported: MP3, FLAC, WAV, AIFF
- Music Streaming Services Supported: TBC pending licensing request with the respective music streaming services
- ROCKI App Versions: Android, iOS, HTML5 (for Windows Phone, PC & Mac)
- Connectors: 3.5 mm Stereo (Audio) / MicroUSB (Power/Charging)
- Included: 3.5 mm to 3.5mm Audio Cable, 3.5 mm to RCA Audio Cable, USB Charging Cable, USB Charger
- Battery: 900 mAH
- Dimensions: 92 x 54 x 17 mm / 48 g
Rocki's plan is to ship the Rocki Play to Kickstarter backers in two batches; one in December (that's right - next month) and one in January. Pledging starts at US$ 45 for the "Rocki Exclusive Beta" which is said to ship in December, and goes up to US$ 49 for the "Standard Rocki Play", which will be available in 6 colors.
Since it's a Kickstarter campaign, you aren't ordering anything but this project will only be funded if at least US$ 50,000 are pledged by Friday Dec 20. At the moment, the project has 61 backers which pledged US 3,418.
Cheers ~ Arne