I've written about the upcoming SlingPlayer Mobile for Windows Mobile devices back in December and finally Sling Media released the public beta of its SlingPlayer Mobile for Pocket PCs which is now available as an open beta for Slingbox customers. SlingPlayer Mobile gives Slingbox owners the most powerful option available in mobile television, combining their unique personal home TV experience with their mobile phones or PDAs.
Beginning April 26th, the retail SlingPlayer Mobile software will be available for US$ 29.99 and includes a free 30-day trial. Slingbox owners who purchase and register their Slingbox prior to April 26th will receive a free license for SlingPlayer Mobile. There are no monthly or recurring charges for the use of SlingPlayer Mobile.
SlingPlayer Mobile uses the network connection on a user's device such as
high-speed cellular services (3G or EV-DO), WiFi, as well as USB or Bluetooth.
- Intuitive SlingPlayer interface Just like the PC version, the
SlingPlayer Mobile is very easy to use, with most features accessible
through familiar icons and a touch-screen interface.
- Automatic Slingbox Directory synchronization The SlingPlayer Mobile is
able to use Microsoft ActiveSync to keep your PC Slingbox Directory
synchronized with your Windows Mobile device.
- SlingStream video optimization In a mobile environment, your network
connections may fluctuate rapidly, so SlingStream technology determines the
best video quality to stream your Slingbox, and is constantly monitoring and
optimizing the network for you.
- Slingbox Finder support Your Mobile device automatically communicates
with your Slingbox via the Slingbox Finder, a free service.
- Full-screen video For all Pocket PC's with rectangular displays (320x240
or 640x480 resolution), the SlingPlayer Mobile includes a full-screen
"landscape" mode, with rotation.
- Graphical SlingRemote The SlingPlayer Mobile software includes all the
remote control capabilities as used in the SlingPlayer PC, giving you full
control over your Slingbox and whatever device you connected to it,
including your cable box, satellite receiver, DVR, or DVD player!
- "Favorites" shortcuts One of the most popular features of the
SlingPlayer is the ability to set your own Favorites shortcuts. Well, it's
in the SlingPlayer Mobile as well, with even more features. Not only can you
set shortcuts to your favorite channels, you can also set favorite remote
control buttons. Additionally, you can customize different shortcuts for
each different device you hook up to your Slingbox!
- Audio-only and Slideshow modes Two new ways to watch (or should we say
"listen to") your Slingbox, where you can optimize for higher audio quality
instead of video quality. These features come in handy if you want to listen
to the news or a sports game in a very low-bandwidth environment.
- Keyboard shortcuts Virtually every remote control function is mapped to
a corresponding key on your keyboard, which can come in quite handy for
devices such as the Treo700w.
- Hardware button remapping If you have a cable box (or TiVo or satellite
receiver or DVD player or anything else with on-screen guides or
navigation), you can use hardware buttons (such as up, down, left, right,
etc) to control your device!
While I'm still waiting to see the Slingbox released in Europe in the
promised and previously
announced PAL version, the folks over at pocketnow.com already made
their first experiences with the new beta player and published a review
Cheers ~ Arne