Today Binarys released the first public Beta of its long awaited Smart Explorer 2.0 which is supposed to support Bluetooth with the HTC Voyager Smartphone 2003 (aka Orange SPV E200) as well as it includes several other improvements and enhancements.
However, the Bluetooth send feature might be one (if not the) of the most important features because the device itself isn't able to send files to other devices, such as Pocket PCs or Notebooks.
General Features and Enhancements:
- Support of Bluetooth file transfer.
Note that there is some troubles with BT. It's impossible to send to a device that ask for authentication on each connection and sometime it's slow when stopping Bluetooth discovery. It's the same troubles that you can face when sending contacts.
- It's possible to go to parent directory when browsing by pressing key 0.
- Some information about the current highlighted item is displayed at bottom of the screen. The content of the selection has been moved to the top of the screen.
- You can display the Properties dialog by pressing key 5.
- Infrared transfer has been rewritten and should be more compliant with other devices.
Still under development:
- It will be possible to send several files at a time (content of selection) by IR or BT.
- Open with dialog which will allow to associate an extension with a given application.
However, since the most important feature is Bluetooth beaming I will focus to this feature.
After you've selected the file you want to beam the Smartphone have to search around for available Bluetooth devices. In my tests it found all available Bluetooth enabled devices:
Select the device you want to beam to and Smart Explorer will start:
Depending on the recipient device you will get either a status or a notification. Even the HTC Himalaya Phone Edition (O2 xda II, PPCW.Net i-Mate Phone Edition) is able to receive Bluetooth beams:
As well as my Sony Vaio Notebook:
As explained before, currently you can beam one file only but this will be enhanced with a future version which will makes it even handier.
Finally you can also share files from your Smartphone with other devices, such as Pocket PCs, PCs or Notebooks which is a real improvement and enhancement! So far, the Voyager Bluetooth was good enough to use it for headsets or if you are lucky enough as a GPRS modem as well but it wasn't possible to share files, for instance photos you snapped with camera. Now you can and you even can with devices (such as my Sony Notebook) which rejected so far to work via ActiveSync! Please keep in mind that the current version is a Beta only and that not all functions are implemented but the current preview version looks promising enough that I'm sure it will become a must have tool for every Voyager owner!
Worth to follow further developments! :-)
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information] [Download Here]