With the press release for the new Orange SPVx, Orange also published some facts of a surevei they ran with current SPV owners. The results are pretty amazing:
- 88% of Orange customers rate their SPV ease of use better than OK
- Average SPV customer had an internet or WAP session 5 times per day (over three times the amount a non-SPV pay monthly Orange customer accesses the internet or WAP)
- 83% of Orange customers have synchronized the SPV with their PC
- 63% are using email with 83% of those finding it better than OK to use
- Almost 50% of the SPV customer-base use MMS services
- Portal and Internet accessed used by 78% of Orange SPV customers
- 75% of SPV customers enjoy watching video clips and playing games
This figures really indicates for me that there is a wireless data market out there which the carriers have/could to develop now. I don't talk about "walled garden" developments but developments based on open Internet standards flavored with the benefits a GSM operator could add to this mobile Internet services like Location Based Services or payments.
However, I still miss the evolution paths from voice centric to data support. Some carriers like O2, T-Mobile or Orange might be on the right track but all mobile Internet developments happens only in conjunction with the introduction of a new device/platform. I don't see real developments (business as well as product development) in the meantime during the introduction of new devices.
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information] [Original Source]