Cirond Technologies released pocketWiNc beta version 1.1 for Pocket PC 2002 which also works with the HP iPAQ H5400 now, if you don't forget to modify your iPAQ Registry.
pocketWiNc automatically detects WiFi networks and lets you rapidly determine whether you can access the Internet. Once you are connected, download e-mail or browse the web with just a tap on the screen! :D
As well as making it easy to connect to WiFi networks, WiNc provides client-side support for Cirondâ€™s WiLan Manager and also helps network administrators inspect, manage and tune WiFi networks for optimum performance. WiNcâ„¢ is based on Cirondâ€™s Universal Client technology, is available for Pocket PC 2002 and CE.Net, and is compatible with the 80211.a, 802.11b, and 80211.g standards.
- Supports all major PC card, Compact Flash cards, and Pocket PCs with on-board WiFi adapters.
- Automatic detection of Internet availability.
- Instant ad-hoc network set-up anywhere, anytime, to enable connection to other Pocket PCs and laptops using WiNc, for exchanging files and wireless Pocket PC synchronization.
- One-touch start-up for Web browser and e-mail inbox.
- Supports portrait and landscape screen modes.
- Preferred Network profiles to enable automatic connection to frequently used WiFi networks based on a user-defined priority sequence with automatic WEP key configuration.
- Automatic detection of all available WiFi network details including SSID, BSSID, channel, MAC address, signal strength and WEP details, route tracing and ping features - for mobile network diagnosis.
- Manual release and renew IP address feature.
- Automatic client-side Support for WiLan Manager.
- Simplifies support by enabling all WiFi cards in an enterprise to be supported with a single client solution
Because an error in the iPAQ H5400 Registry, WiNc will not detect a network card as long as you don't fix this value by yourself:
The original value which can be found under "HKLMCommvntminiLinkageRoute" contains for any reason this garbage:
You need to change the "Route" value to "vnetmini1":
Please note that even with the latest iPAQ H5400 W-LAN Driver Update, this bug isn't fixed; so you need to do it by hand under any circumstances. After you changed the Registry, don't forget to soft reset your device.
From now you can use your H5400 as a perfect WiFi sniffing gadget but please don't abuse it. ;-)
Enjoy the wireless freedom. If you need a Registry Editor, I suggest the PHM Registry Editor (free). pocketWiNc is available for free from Cirond Technologies.
Thanks to my fellow MPVs Giorgio Cifani for pointing me to pocketWiNc and David Hettel for reminding me to modify the Registry!
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [Download pocketWiNc] [Download PHM Registry Editor]