Google Desktop 2 (Beta) gives you easy access to information on your computer and from the web. It's a desktop search application that provides full text search over your E-Mail, computer files, music, photos, chats and web pages that you've viewed. By making your computer searchable, Google Desktop puts your information easily within your reach and frees you from having to manually organize your files, E-Mails and bookmarks. It makes searching your computer as easy as searching the web with Google.
Google Desktop 2 (Beta) doesn't just help you search your computer; it also helps you gather new information from the web with Sidebar, a new desktop feature that shows you your new E-Mail, weather and stock information, personalized news and RSS/Atom feeds, and more. Sidebar is personalized automatically, without any manual configuration required (though you can certainly make your own customizations if you want to).
With Sidebar, you can see personalized information right on your desktop:
- News: See the latest news headlines personalized to your interests
- Web Clips: Read RSS and Atom feeds from anywhere on the web
- Scratch Pad: Type and save notes for yourself
- Weather: Keep track of weather forecasts for multiple locations
- Photos: Watch a slideshow of photos from the web and on your computer
- Stocks: Keep track of up-to-the-minute prices for your favorite stocks
- E-Mail: Read new E-Mail, including Outlook and Gmail, as you get it
- Quick View: Keep a list of frequently used web pages and files handy
Google also improved your desktop search experience. With Quick Find, you can now launch applications and see search results as you type without even opening a browser. Google also extended the Outlook integration, so you can search Google Desktop with the Outlook Toolbar and see results within Outlook itself. Finally, you can search even more stuff, including your Gmail, files on network drives, many Outlook data types (including Contacts, Tasks, Calendar, Notes and Journal) and MSN Messenger chats. And if you yearn for even stronger security, you can encrypt your entire index.
I'm always unsteady in terms of these toolbars for my PCs. Beside the distrust if personal data might be send anyway, these toolbars always takes a lot or resources and drain the Notebook battery way more, because they try to index while your PC is idle (mut might run on battery).
Anyway, if you want try Google Desktop 2 (Beta with Sidebar you can get it for free from Google.
Cheers ~ Arne