Just days after it leaked to the Internet, Motorola today announced its newest Android smartphone with MOTOBLUR, the Motorola Charm. A touchscreen smartphone that packs a social networking punch with Android 2.1, a compact design and a BACKTRACK feature that makes screen navigation even more intuitive. The Motorola Charm provides consumers all the features of a smartphone with the intuitive navigation of a 2.8" QVGA TFT touchscreen - all in a compact, pocketable design that makes messaging a snap using the combination of a full QWERTY keyboard and touchscreen. Motorola Charm will be the first device in the U.S. to feature an enhanced version of MOTOBLUR built on Android 2.1.
The devices BACKTRACK navigation pad, located on the back of the smartphone directly behind the home screen, is similar to a laptop touch panel and enables an unobstructed view of the Web, texts, E-Mails and news feeds. Plus, with Android 2.1 and enhanced MOTOBLUR features, Charm offers new customization and filtering options.
The Motorola Charm supports quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE as well as dualband UMTS/HSDPA (up to 3.6 Mbps) at 1700/2100 MHz, WiFi b/g/n and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR.
Additional features on the Motorola Charm include:
- Adobe Flash enabled Web browsing experience to view most of today's content-rich sites
- Full suite of Google services including Google Search, Google Maps, Gmail and access to thousands of apps on Android Market
- Pinch to zoom functionality and two-finger swipe to easily surf the Web and sort through photos
- a 3 megapixel fixfocus camera with Kodak PERFECT TOUCH technology for better, brighter pictures
- One-touch social media uploads to Facebook, MySpace, Picasa and PhotoBucket
- CrystalTalk PLUS for enhanced audio and call quality with a second microphone for increased voice quality while filtering out background noise
- Corporate E-Mail pushed immediately to the device for instant inbox updates
MOTOBLUR filters can be selected from a single social networking account, contacts, group or messaging account so that users can select only the information they want to stream live to the Happenings and Messages widgets. Users can move and resize pre-loaded home screen widgets to personalize up to seven home screen panels for an even more custom experience. Lastly, consumers can manage their phone's battery consumption by selecting different power modes to conserve battery.
Contacts in MOTOBLUR are automatically synced to the phone from personal and work E-Mail and social network accounts. MOTOBLUR will continue to provide convenience and peace of mind, as lost devices can be located from a secure personal information portal and even remotely erased if necessary. In addition, one user name and password brings back contacts, messages and connectivity to previously configured networks and E-Mail providers.
Last, but not least, Moto Phone Portal enables customers to access and manage your phone's data from any browser through a USB or Wi-Fi connection. Edit content and view important phone information while at home or on-the-go. Leave pictures on a friend's PC, share a video at the local Internet Café or share a presentation during an important business meeting.
The Motorola Charm, which will be available in either Golden, Bronze or Cabernet, is expected to be available exclusively to T-Mobile USA customers this summer. No word yet if the Charm will also hit other regions of the world afterwards.
Cheers ~ Arne