UPDATE: More information and pictures about the Mitac Smartphone 2002
Posted by Arne Hess - on Sunday, 02.03.03 - 16:03:00 CET under 02 - Windows Mobile News - Viewed 7540x
msmobile posted the following information about the new Mitac clamshell Smartphone which was announced two weeks ago in Cannes.
Also Mitac published some high-resolution pictures of its first Windows Powered Smartphone which will be called "Mio 8380".
'MiTAC has announced the release of a groundbreaking new device that promises to revolutionize personal communications and enrich digital lifestyles. The Mio 8380 smart phone integrates the key capabilities that people need to realize the ideal of a full-fledged digital lifestyle--cellular phone voice calls and messaging, digital photography, personal information management, anytime/anywhere e-mail and Web connectivity, online chatting, digital voice recording, and mobile audiovisual entertainment.
Based on Microsoft's Smart Phone 2002 platform, MiTAC's Mio 8380 combines a tri-band GPRS mobile phone and its wide array of tightly integrated digital lifestyle-oriented features with a familiar user interface for easy accessibility. As a phone, the GPRS Class 10-compliant Mio 8380 supports 900, 1800, and 1900 MHz cellular networks, meaning that it can be used virtually anywhere in the world. In addition to its versatile support for the most widespread cellular standards, the Mio 8380 provides not only standard text-based messaging, but also MMS multimedia messaging, adding to the enjoyment and impact of mobile interpersonal communications.
Besides conventional cell phone-based voice calls and messaging, the Mio 8380 also supports high-speed wireless access to e-mail and the Web. An integrated e-mail client, MSN Messenger client, and special version of Internet Explorer offer an intuitive interface for managing e-mail, chatting online, and viewing Webpages.
As a truly comprehensive digital lifestyle device, the Mio 8380 also incorporates a 110-kilopixel camera complete with digital zoom, perfect for taking quick snapshots for later viewing or to send to a friend. Digital photos are a pleasure to view on the Mio 8380's high-resolution 2.2" TFT color LCD, which is provided with a special transflective screen for clear viewing even in bright sunlight. The Mio 8380's MPEG-4 encoder/decoder means it can handle digital video as handily as a simple voice call. Moreover, the built-in media player enables users not only to enjoy viewing digital video, but also other multimedia content such as MP3 music right on the Mio 8380. The Mio 8380 provides personal information management software similar to those in Pocket PC devices, giving users the ability to manage schedules, contacts, and text notes with ease, while an integrated voice recorder allows users to record voice memos and other audio instantly.
Compliance with the Java MIDP 2.0 specification ensures compatibility with a new generation of mobile applications written in the Java language, while an integrated SD flash memory card expansion slot is perfect for storing data, or accessing digital content. MiTAC has provided backup software with the Mio 8380 so that users can safeguard SIM data and other key information. To provide the processing horsepower needed for the Mio 8380's amazing range of capabilities, it utilizes Intel's mobility- and network-optimized Xscale CPU. All of this functionality is dressed up in a compact and stylish clamshell design to make it the ultimate must-have for the adherents of the digital lifestyle.
MiTAC General Manager of NBU Samuel Wang notes, "The Mio 8380 smart phone is what the digital lifestyle is all about. It lets people communicate and enjoy digital content in a variety of ways, according to the circumstance or personal preference. The best thing is that the Mio 8380 integrates all this functionality seamlessly in a user interface that will be familiar to anyone who has used a PC. Unlike other breakthrough devices with a range of new capabilities, the Mio 8380 is a snap to use. It's the kind of product really has the potential to change people's lives almost instantly."'
- CPU Intel X-Scale 200MHz
- OS Microsoft Smartphone 2002
- Display1 2.2" Transflective TFT LCD w/LED Back-light, 16 bit-per-pixel, 65K Colors
- Resolution 176 x 220 Portrait Mode
- Display2 EL 64 x 48 bit - Displays: Time, Date, Battery status, Battery charging, complete status, Signal strength & Caller ID
- Memory 32MB ROM / 16MB 100MHz SDRAM
- Audio 40 polyphonies ring tone
- WAN Triband GSM/GPRS Class 10 device
- GPRS GSM 900 (Standard 900 GSM), 1800MHz (DCS), 1900 (PCS)
- GPRS Class B device
- Battery Type 1050mAh Li-Polymer, Rechargeable
- Talk Time About 120~180 minutes
- Standby Time About 100 Hours
- Expansion Slot 4 bit SD Slot x 1
- SIM Card Built-in Type SIM Card Socket Supports GSM/GPRS
- Indicators LED x1, 2 colors
- Microphone Built-in Type x 1, (Mono) for Voice Recording & Phone
- Speaker Built-in Speaker x1 for Audio Output
- Infrared IrDA (SIR 1.2, 115.2Kbps)
- Camera Built-in Camera, 110K Pixel, CIF,
- Weight About 143g
- Dimensions 51.5 mm x 29.6 mm x 97 mm (WxDxL)
- Style Clamshell Design
- Cradle LED x1, ActiveSync connector x1
- Power x1, 2nd battery slot x1
- Navigation Buttons 2 for "On screen" function selection, Home x1, Back x1
- 5-way Control Pad Up, Down, Right, Left, Enter
- Phone Function Send x1, End x1
- Volume Control 2
- Numeric Keypad 12
- Voice Recorder 1 &Playback
- Built-in 110K pixel camera with zoom function
- Stylish clamshell design with EL 2nd display
- 40 Polyphonies ring tone
- 65K colors transflective 2.2" TFT display
- Triband (900,1800,1900MHz) Class 10 GPRS
- Built-in MPEG4 encoding /decoding utility
- Build-in camera, data backup, SIM card backup and time
- Picture Viewer and Album
- Voice Recorder & Playback (mono)
- Speaker Phone
- Pocket IE (HTML, WML, WAP2.0)
- SMS / MMS
- Email Inbox, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Tasks
- MP3, WAV & WMA Playback support
- Messenger, Active Sync, Call History, Settings, Shortcuts, Windows Media
- Text Input
- JAVA MIDP2.0 KVM
- MPEG4 Encode/Decode
I've already enjoyed a presentation of this phone two weeks ago in Cannes and it is such a great device - specially with its built in camera. Looking forward to see it in the market soon but wonder which operator will add it to its portfolio. Being part of the operator sales channels is always a key for a terminal success!
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [Original Source] [More Information]