Siemens seems to be the first company which released a Windows Mobile 2003 upgrade for a its Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition and best of all - it's available for free!
While we still wait for the WM 2003 upgrade for the T-Mobile Phone Edition (US and Europe) from today the Siemens upgrade is available from its website:
This free update contains the following enhancements:
- Call mute
- Suggest feature to show e-mail addresses
- Signature feature
- Auto-correct feature that corrects common spelling errors
- Call barring to control incoming & outgoing calls
- New connectivity notification provides more information and commands for phone and data connections
- Character counter in SMS
- Windows Media Player 9 Series
- Pocket Internet Explorer improved display and access to websites
- Advanced ActiveSync scheduling option
- SMS Caller ID and contact list are integrated
- Separate volume control for ringer and system sounds
- Auto band selection when traveling overseas
This ROM software is version A.30.09:
Please note - even if Siemens is suggesting a Windows 98 or higher for performing the upgrade I seriously want to warn you trying such kind of ROM upgrades with Windows 98, ME or NT! Please - only use Windows 2000 or XP PCs for ROM upgrades! Also note that it is designed for the Siemens SX56 only and I can not recommend any cross upgrades - under no circumstances!
The enhancement Siemens announced as new above are the standard Windows Mobile 2003 enhancements and really worth to use! I already run an old xda for a couple of months with Windows Mobile 2003 now and it works faster and more stable, not to mention the feature enhancements!
Cheers ~ Arne
Related Links : [More Information] [Download Here]