As promised, today Sony Ericsson announced that the company will will start the roll-out of the Android 2.1-based updates for the Xperia-family of X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro this coming Sunday. According to Sony Ericsson, the roll-out will start in the evening European time and will be first available for the Nordic countries with more upgrades coming during Monday and then the roll-out will continue throughout November. The changes in user experience after the upgrade to the not latest Android version (which would be Android 2.2) is a mix of massive feature improvements, added or changed from Android 1.6 to Android 2.1 as well as features changed or improved by Sony Ericsson itself.
The key changes for the different products are the following:
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android 2.1
- 5 homescreens for apps, widgets, shortcuts and folders
- HD video recording with continuous autofocus for high quality videos
- New back up and restore application with extended content back up
- Social phonebook which automatically syncs contact pictures from Facebook and shows when friends are online
Xperia X10 mini and Xperia X10 mini pro
- Upgrade of the Android platform to Android platform 2.1
- Improved Bluetooth functionality with support for sending and receiving pictures, contacts and more
- New backup and restore application with extended content back up
- Automatic synchronization of contact pictures between Facebook and your phone book
- Improved ways of handling pictures, audio, text and numbers in messages
Sony Ericsson again mentions, that in most markets, the phone will automatically let the user know when the update is ready for your specific software version and then will guide to how to perform the update using the PC Companion software. In that process, because of this being a big update, users will also be guided through some steps to be able to backup personal data before the update and then restore it when the update is finished.
Cheers ~ Arne